Joining up after living overseas and a few other questions

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Cpt_Jack, Mar 23, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OK, here goes, attempt number two after the forum so kindly ate my last post.

Hello all

First, a bit about myself. As you can see this account was made in 2007, when I was first considering joining up. However, that time around my family moved out to the Middle east while I was about to go through with the recruiting process. I had a choice, stick with the military or go and see some of the world. I chose to see some of the world with the assumption that I could always come back later for the military.

I now live in Malaysia after leaving the United Arab Emirates when that part of the world went tits up (Memo to world leaders: don't build effing huge skyscrapers without first ensuring your country has good roads, sewage lines, schools, hospitals etc and that make what we laughably call 'civilization'). I'm just about done with my A-levels, having skipped sixth form becuase it was full of ******* and decided it would be much more fun to work and then study at night school... the jury is out on that. Thus, another crossroads is coming up with regards to career and university, the military seems to be calling again.

So, without further ado, some questions:

- I have now not set foot in Blightly for about three years (two and a half in the UAE and about six months in Malaysia) and thus, I think this will cause some problems, especially since I may well consider doing my university stuff abroad. Does anyone have any info on this and ways around it?

- I am into my flying and all that stupid stuff, so the AAC is, as it was before, my first choice. What is the best method into the AAC? If memory serves from three years ago, joining straight up into it is either not possible and/or ill advised.

- Coupled to the above, what sort of degree I should be considering? Yes, I was fed the line about 'only needing two A-levels' but we all know that it's pretty much BS, you need that degree ideally.

- That said about the AAC, apparently I'm 'good' with intelligence etc. However, I'm not entirely sure what this entails other than reading stuff stamped 'top secret' (that no one cares about) and wearing a uniform (badly). Even the army website is decidedly bare on the subject so any help appreciated.

- Finally I am a practicing Muslim and thus will most likely have the shite kicked out of me (I'm cynical at best). I fully understand this but would like to know if there is someone I can speak to who was in the same position and has been through it before.

Thanks for reading my junk and replying.

2. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I'm assuming that you are a British 'citizen' normally resident in the UK. Not living in the UK is not the same as not being a resident. I lived overseas for 9 years but was still considered to be normally resident in the UK.

The rules on living in the UK before joining are a bit elastic and will usually be relaxed if you have been overseas with your parents or undertaking education provided you have substantial links to the UK. You will need to provide all of your addresses and what you've been up to.

Being a Muslim is not a problem. The armed forces are wonderfully diverse. You will be working alongside all sorts of people with differing beliefs and none at all. You will also be working with people with many ethnic backgrounds and gender and sexual orientations. As long as you can 'rub along' with them they will rub along with you. Your ability to do your job and function as part of a team will be far more important than whatever imaginary friend(s) you choose to converse with.

3. Thanks for your fast reply

Yes, passport carrying, born, bred and educated up to GCSE the archetype of Mr Griffin's (of BNP frame) 'aboriginal Briton'. And Muslim. I make certain people's head hurt when they say I should '**** of back home' :p

I'm a tad concerned with providing all my details, not because of what I have done but becuase of what someone could make of it. My qualifications come from places with the word 'Islamic' in front of them (e.g. Islamic University of Malaysia) for instance. What would you class as 'substantial links' though?

And I am glad you say that. Looking back at my homeland and reading the reports makes me, at times, scared to go back in all honesty, the hate bubbles all over it seems. But I get what you mean, in military type 'jobs', I can see that people couldn't give a shite about where you come from, more that you can do your 'job', one of the reasons I like it.

4. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

They'll be a bloody site more concerned if they think you have covered something up. The people who do the vetting are a little more sophisticated than you are giving them credit for.

Substantial links - the ones you mentioned born and brought up in and generally consider the place to be home.

I live in Birmingham and there are places where I go when I feel that the 'hate' is directed at me.

5. Being a Muslim isn't a barrier. The Army has very strict guidelines on diversity and all that, anyone tried to give you shit (I can't imagine that they would) and they'd be up to their neck in it.

As to what degree - a degree is a degree. If you love flying in general, then I imagine you'd find a course in aeronautical engineering to be interesting, but they don't discriminate. Or at least, I managed to get through Westbury with Economics stamped on my forehead, so it can't be too important. I imagine that eyebrows would raise if you went for Applied Surfboard Studies or something of similar academic merit.

As for Int Corps: http://www.army.mod.uk/documents/general/INT_Officer.pdf that page may help. Don't know jack about AAC because I'm not really the 'flying' type and have thus not bothered to look at it. Don't know how practical it is for you to pass onto our Hallowed Shores, but if you can get over here and get on some Familiarisation visits then choice of arm will become a lot easier for you.

6. Living overseas for a period of time can bar any application into the Int Corps.

7. Again, thank you all.

BuggerAll: I suspect I am, but having to have, on a number of occasions, present certificates with 'Issued in United Arab Emirates' or 'Islamic University of _____' type stuff stamped on them does raise eyebrows to say the least in civvy street. Yes, I'm sure I overact on the issue but still, in this world to 'stick out' is seen as a bad thing by Mr Public I feel. Again, one of the reasons I like the idea of a military career is the fact that people don't care about such things, though I notice it on this forum. Or as Gunnery Sergeant Hartman put's it "There is no racial bigotry here. I do not look down on niggers, kikes, wops or greasers. Here you are all equally worthless.". And yerp, haters hate, what more to say...

Telec: Again, I agree, but again, we both know how people are. R.e. degree, you are basically saying anything so long as it's not toilet paper? Your link seems to suggest that which is a relief for me. Are there other PDF's for other branches? I couldn't find any. As for familiarization, a visit back home is possible but looking at all the different arms familiarization dates it's going to be a bastard to plan. What would you recommend as my next step?

Yeah_Innit_Blud: Telec's PDF is suggesting 10 years residency in normal circumstances. Is that 10 years living in the UK or held citizenship for 10 years?

8. Living in the UK for the last 10 years. I know of several examples where someone has not been able to get the level of clearance needed due to having lived abroad for a period of time, even with countries such as the US and Australia.

9. Feck... can't for the life of me see what the difference is (just being in the UK stops me communicating, collaborating, sympathizing and biulding relationships with the baddies how?) but the powers that be and all. Guess that one is scratched, just as I was taking a liking to it.

10. Not that I'm aware of. The best I can really offer you is this: Corps & Regiments - British Army Website
    If you were at home I'd tell you to go to a recruitment office or talk to an Army Careers Advisor. Given your situation I'm not really sure.
    Nose around here and see what you can find:
    Enquiries and applications - British Army Website

11. Unfortunate, I know. It's all about being able to trace your history, and if you've been out of the country for a great deal of time, then they can't for certain know what you've been up to. You could have lived anywhere, worked anywhere and more importantly, worked or lived with anyone and they'd never know.

12. Telec: It's all good, plenty to adsorb. And I have tried communicating via the email thing, I sent an email and got a charming three line reply that was effectively 'your problem is difficult so I can't be arsed to can't help you, eff off' hence trying here. I think that my only hope is to find someone current involved in recruiting I can email etc. I can't imagine I'm the first to have done this!

Yeah_Innit_Blud: Understandable but for me, I suspect my paper trail is verging on the five mile wide two miles deep mark having lived in a country that made sure the locals were employed by giving them paper pushing jobs (case point; crossing the border required separate near identical papers being stamped six times to get out and six times to get back in with six near identical stamps by at least twelve people. And God forbid if you drove past the little police hut two miles down the road upon leaving and forgot to get a stamp from them. Gotta love the Middle East, they shoot you otherwise...). Still, we shall see. In your experience what sort of time-frame vis a vis being out of the country are we talking about?

13. Just to update, after blundering around blindly on the Army website, I found there is in fact an area for overseas applications. At first it appears that this is purely for foreign nationals, however I *think* I can still give it a shot. Your help is still appreciated though.

14. I think it is more to do with co-operation between various agencies which causes the problem. The DVA just wouldn't be able to get the information it needs from other countries to confirm any of your past. I'm not an authority on this by any means, and you'd be best speaking to someone whose job it is to deal with these sorts of things, but I'm trying to let you know some of the problems you may face in any application you might make.

But, you may be able to serve in another job in the forces which doesn't require that level of clearance and then at a later date transfer once you've done enough time. I know little about this route for someone in your circumstances, but it's something which you may be able to try.

15. OK, well, I'd rather not but can look into it. What sort of thing would you recommend?