Joining the TA

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by gentleman_bastard, Jan 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all, first time poster

Just a quick question (I've searched but I can't find any other threads so please accept my apologies if already asked/answerwed).

I recently walked into my local ACO with a view to exploring joing the regulars. Its something I've always thought of doing but for one reason or another its never happened. After a failrly brief chat I was told that the amount of debt I was in (my own stupid fault and I'm paying it off) would disqualify me straight away so basically thanks but no thanks. This is fair enough and I'm not moaning about this. Like I say its all my own stupid fault.

My question is this. Would the same rules on debt apply to me joining the TA initially (therefore earning extra money to pay off my debts) and then joining the regulars in a couple of years time?

Thanks

GB

(Edited for stupid spelling)

2. I shouldnt think it would matter about debt too much in the TA, in fact I dont think they even ask you.

3. It also depends on what unit youare joining, if you are say joining a unit where the is a need to be security cleared ten they will do a deeper check on you i.e CCJ's etc. I hope this helps.

Stilts

4. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Theoretically the only time this may come up is in answer to two questions on the application form (AFCO 4):
    If you can answer 'No' to both, then shouldn't be a problem.

5. I think you'll find the questions are:

Do you have any financial commitments which you will have difficulty in meeting if you join the Services?

Do you have a Bank of Building Society Account?

Not being pedantic in any way shape or form

6. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Not in the new purple coloured AFCO Form 4 (June 07) it isn't. The only questions on finances are Questions 47 & 48 as quoted by me above and Q.26 which reads: "Do you have a current account with a UK bank of building society?"

Not being pedantic in any way shape or form :wink:

7. Thats OK then ::) as most units will still be using (Mar 07) as I wasn't aware (Jun 07) was on general release.

8. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

To be honest mate, I've only seen it because it's part of the new TA Recruit Selection Guide. Should be out soon though.

9. Thanks for all the answers folks

The lads at the AFCO basically said that my debts would put me into financial hardship, as I would be taking a significant paycut to join up. He also started asking me about my house (rented) and mobile phone contract.

Does no-one join the forces with a mobile phone contract then or their own house? :? Moving into barracks would mean I would have less outgoings and therefore actually more money each month but I digress...

Anyway am I right that if joining the TA in an Infantry role (there is a company near me in Derby) there shouldn't be any difficulties as long as I fufill all other requirements?

10. As long as you complete all the specified requirements on all forms then you will have no problems

11. No I'm not Gordon Brown. I'm much too financially astute for that :D