Joining the TA

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by RU99, Dec 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I posted this in the Regular Officer Recruiting page as well as I am going for a commission in the regular army, but any advice is welcome.

I am just off the phone after speaking to the ACA. I got a 2Q at Briefing, need to get a qualification bumped up and am on a course to do that at the moment. The exam is in May, and the ACA said the September 2011 intake is already almost full so I am looking at Jan 2012 if I pass MB first time.

In the mean time, I have a year to get all aspects of my development to the standards required, which I am looking at from a positive point of view. Would it be worth my time and theirs if I joined my local TA unit?

2. msr

msr LE

Yes. Go along and speak to them and make your regular intentions known. You never know what might change in the next 12 months.

3. In complete agreement with msr on this one. If you know which corps of the Regular army you intend on joining after Sandhurst find the nearest TA unit of the same capbadge and get yourself down there for a chat. If you're still undecided go for the most convenient unit for you, you'll be able to commit yourself more to it if it isn't a chore for you to get there. Your first year in the TA will be spent going through the basic phase 1 training giving you a solid grounding before joining the Regulars. If the unit you choose is switched on they should also point you in the direction of leadership development weekends at the local RTC and with a bit of luck they'll have a young officer or two who can mentor you on what to expect in the next year or so.

Good luck to you.
  4. Well, I am a bit different to the other posters. I disagree if you are only going to be at the unit for a year, if you went in this week nothing would happen until Jan 11 because of Christmas. So you turn up in Jan have a chat etc, get the paperwork, (give it a couple of weeks for you to complete the paperwork) hand it in, they send it off, book you BARB test, medical, selection, security clearence if required ( same fitness levels as the regulars) interview with OC/ROSO as you want to go the officer route, then get loaded on
    Phase 1A attend all 6-9 weekends on the bounce without a break in the weekends, then your recruits course - 2 weeks, this all likely to take a minium of 6 months. (bearing in mind that you can get loaded on the courses at the time)

So do you want to take the place of someobne who would/could go the full distance?

5. msr

msr LE

I beg to differ STILTS. There's no shortage of places and what better way of assisting the 'one army concept' than someone who has had a start in the TA.

6. Whats the cost to the potential TA unit for some one to rock up for approx 1 year to go through training only to get part way through training to jack it in to go Reg. If I was still in recruiting I would be concerned about his/her conmitment to the unit, the TA is not a take all organisation anymore (or it should not be!) we need to be more selective in potential members. It just seems a waste of time and effort to (partly) train someone, when it would be better to train someone who is going to stay the distance.

7. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Theres nothing quite like dressing up at the weekends and thinking that makes you a soldier. If you were serious you would join the Army, hanging off the coat tails of others is a little sad for 2 days a week.
  8. Just a thought but if you are looking at spending (possibly) many years in the Army, why waste your time doing more of it now? Personally I'd spend those last precious months of freedom doing something entirely different...
  9. Arrse. Or. Dressing up? ORDERLY SGT, what did you do? Dress up, gob off?
  10. msr

msr LE

Do stop drinking before posting.
  11. I can see both sides to the argument that is why I wanted to ask people that know better than I do.

Hobo Ken, I intend to make a career in the Army, I want to get in to the Army environment as soon as possible. I am 26 and I am just trying to think of proactive things I can do now. I thought I might be able to offer my local TA unit something in the time that I have got, as well as learning skills and spending a bit of time as a Tom.
  12. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

To be honest, in 12 months the only value you will be adding is as an extra recruit post filled for the return to brigade. Don't kid yourself that you will do much more than recruit training and maybe a short stint as number 8 rifleman in the time available.

That said, go for it. You are no more costly than any other applicant who jacks soon after joining and many of those are taken on strength every month. You are not going to keep anyone else out of a TA "job", and if your circumstances change such that you don't follow your inital plans to serve in the regular army then you are at least starting out in the TA.
  13. Ok I will go down tomorrow night and have a word, see what they say. I will just be honest.
  14. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

So how much time have you spent in the real Army?
  15. You're really not buying into this "One Army" concept are you?