Joining the TA

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by Ollie2376, Nov 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I am 18 and looking at joining the TA. Is it possible to just join for a few months?
    I am looking to join either Army or RAF in a few months, so would like a bit of a taste of the TA to see if I like it. Is this possible?

Do you have to commit to a certain amount of time, or can you just join and leave when you want (i guess there would be a certain amount of notice before leaving)

2. It will take more than a few months to get into the TA properly i.e. past all the initial training.
  3. I can't see a unit wanting to take you on and invest money in training you for you to leave after a few months. That said, phone the units in your area and see what they say, but don't hold your breath.
  4. If you were looking to go regular in 1 or 2 years this would not be a problem, any less than 1 year and you will be wasting everyone's time.
  5. I did expect that and understand why. But do they have a minimum commitment or anything?
  6. Bud, quit being lazy and have a look around, all this stuffs on the internet.

Officially, I believe you sign up to a minimum of 3 years after attestation, but in reality it's give notice to your CoC and hand your kit in.
  7. Initial sign on is 12 years but you can give 3 months notice (this can be waived) - absolutely no point joining for a few months - a waste of everyone's time including your own!

8. No point in joining for such a short time, but have a chat with your local unit and you might be able to have an 'unofficial' look around and see what goes on.

What are you thinking of joining as?

Good luck!