Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Joining the TA with the eventual goal of being an RAF flyboy

Well my start date was in 2006 and I left in 2010 so by my maths, that's 4 years.

Your facts are all a bit fuzzy. I think you'll find it was 24 months infantry, with over 50 days in my first year (I suppose you could call that minicule when compared with the 27 you're asked for...) and 24 months signals.

But obviously you know better, you're the internet police.

I couldn't give a **** about pilot training.

Is that like when you were in the ACF and then wasn't in the ACF?

Liar liar, pants on fire.

Oh good, yet another thread derailed into insanity.

DP you seem to have pissed off an awful lot of people by stating things which later appear to have been mispoken. It may be time for a little more reflection and a little less comment.

Just a thought.

If anyone can show me where I gave advice on pilot training I'll happily admit I was wrong.

It wasn't me who suggested you could do casevacs with a 747.

If anyone can show me where I gave advice on pilot training I'll happily admit I was wrong.

Having been in an essentialy similar Star Lifter there is no reason at all that a cargo 747 could not be used as an airbridge casevac if you have a long enough strip at the airhead.

It's a flying shed, nothing more, what you put inside it is modular and changable.

On your way now walter.

How's this for advice on pilot training?:

"The RAF don't want to take somebody on as a potential pilot who after 12 months of very expensive training decides that once again he's bored and needs a new direction."

I'm not jumping on the band wagon here. I couldn't give a **** about what you've done to offend other people on this site (apart from Sluggy but that's because she scares me slightly in an erotic kind of way).

However you have given duff advice on on this thread about TA TACOS - something that you apparently have first hand experience of. Call it a day.

To the OP - the issue isn't whether you can fit an op tour in during 2 or 4 years in the TA.

To go on ops there needs to be ops going on. Afghan will be pretty much winding up by the time you arrive in the TA. The requirement will be for mentors and staff, not 18 yr old TA privates.

NI? Finished. TELIC? Finished. Balkans? Finished. There is always TOSCA, but the requirement is small for a whole TA. The future will probably be with small scale and duration ops if any at all, and they're the business of the Regular Army.

Don't spread yourself too thin.

Having been in an essentialy similar Star Lifter there is no reason at all that a cargo 747 could not be used as an airbridge casevac if you have a long enough strip at the airhead.

It's a flying shed, nothing more, what you put inside it is modular and changable.

I don't doubt that what you put inside is modular and changeable. But I don't foresee an incident where somebody is involved in an IED blast, and rather than calling for a chinook to come and casevac the person because they are about to cop it, you call for the royal engineers to come and lay a runway in 'quick time' so you can land your casevac 747 next to them.

Yes I totally agree you could use the 747 for doing the warzone-UK leg of the journey in the way C17s currently get used, but I don't think 747s would be much good for troop movements or urgent casevacs from contacts in the middle of the ******* desert, simply due to the amount of space required to land one and the fact that they do generally prefer to land on something solid.