Joining the TA with high blood pressure

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by otomous, Oct 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello there, I'm hoping to join the TA. I'm 38 and have high blood pressure. Other than this I'm pretty fit and well, I do British Military Fitness classes 3 times a week and am in the intermediate group, reguarly the fast class. I have no other medical issues at all. I realise that this can permanently exclude me but wondered if anyone knows if there is any scope for flexibility. I've had the condition sucessfully controlled by medication before, I got myself off it because I'd prefer not to be on regular medication but would do if it gave me this chance. Anyone experienced this issue or know whether there is ever any flexibility? Cheers.
  2. It'll save you developing it later in your TA career when you try to get your head round the "One Army" concept. :wink:
  3. I suffer from mild HPT and am 40. But it is within the upper area of the safe range. It hasnt gone over that for over 5 years and seems stable.

Blood pressure is also adjusted for age (upwards)

Some people just run at higher pressures. Doesnt neccessarily follow that they are in poor health (but I'm not a doctor, so what do I know?)
  4. Damn you Rebel. You beat me to it.......

Otomous, try asking on the Med Forum.

As WoTW says, some peeps run at a higher pressure.

Go for it.
  5. Depends on the bp reading when you have the medical .If its slightly elevated maybe ok if you can do fitness training 3 ti
  6. You wont get in with high blood presure, and they do not allow you to take medication. It would be different if you was already in, and then developed it, but not on joining. If you can get proof from your doc saying it is fine, and he dont think that it will be a problem it will help when you have your medical
  7. Cheers for all your replies, got the forms to apply so am gonna go for it and see what happens. Better to try and fail than never give it a go I guess!
  8. Now you are an expert on this all of a sudden? Does this mean you'll stop asking bone questions on it? (Just in case you were thinking of replying that was sarcasm)

as for the original poster, just how high is your BP?
  9. It's hovering around 150/90, mr originalphantom.
  10. check PM's