Joining the TA with a slipped disc

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by lorica, Sep 4, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes, I have been working on getting fit with a view in applying to join my local infantry TA regiment. During weight training I slipped a disc at L5 which is causing a large number of issues. It has improved considerably since it happened but occasionally it hurts after sustained activity hence repeated visits to my GP who has referred me to a spinal surgeon who recommended surgery. The question I have is that a) if I leave it and continue with physiotherapy would i be able top join or would the medical cause issues b) if i did have the op, would that also bar me from joining. I am working away from home therefore I cannot ask my local recruiting officer before you ask.

Thanks in advance
  2. First off. If you do have an operation on your spine you will be unable to join.

I had a double herniated disc, L4 and L5 three years before I joined the TA. I advised them of my medical history and I was assured that as long as I was fit and active there would be no problems. They were right. I sailed through CMSR and had no problems tabbing with about 35kg, if anything I would say my level of fitness improved my back condition.

So, my advice is to get fit and give it your all. You have nothing to lose.

Good luck.
  3. msr

msr LE

FFS take the medical recommendation. Have surgery and then join the ACF as an AI.
  4. lorica,

a) slipped disc is not a problem as long you functionally have good range of movement,strength and no symptoms;

b) what op? If it's a single discectomy then you could join two years post-op as long as you've been asymptomatic whilst training. Any other op then you're a P8 -Medically Unfit for Service.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
  5. Does TA training include humping a pack? I remember at 21 years old, with no prior spinal issues, spending an entire day bent over walking like Yoda after a hump with full gear, my back was so badly spazzed. If someone's suffered a badly herniated disc, I'd think that would be greatly prejudicial to such outdoor sports.
  6. No; the TA get Regular soldiers in on the weekends to carry their kit for them if it is over a certain weight - Health & Safety and all that. Wouldn't want the TA unit getting sued ay some civilian employer because on of their workers got broke by the Army.

What a bone question you fuckin spastic - put yourself in a sandbag with some bricks and take a big **** off jump into a deep river!.
  7. Maybe you're just weak?
  8. Guess everyone else in my platoon was too. We were all bent over like little old men. Wow, some people are in crabby moods tonight. Sorry if I'm not overly familiar with the TA standards, operations, or training, not having spent any time in HM Forces.
  9. Tongue in cheek chap, tongue in cheek. I think we've all been those little old men at some point.

Apart from me of course.
  10. I slipped a disc (L5) early in my Regular career at 26 years old. It wasn't completely settled until about a year after I left the service at 41 years of age. An operation was suggested but not recommended as the risks of permanent damage at that time were considered too high. A stay at Headley Court followed by an exercise programme aimed at keeping the spine mobile and as straight as possible were recommended to me and were generally effective for the rest of my career, although there was the occasional relapse. When I had my demob medical, I had lost an inch in height. I couldn't think why, but then I had an x-ray with a chiropracter after I had left the service and was having trouble, it showed that the disc had shrunk and the two vertebrae had started to fuse naturally. Chiropractic manipulation to get the spine/pelvis joints (forget their proper medical names!) mobile again were successful. Since then, 20+ years ago, I have had very little trouble, despite being a fat bastard. Surgery is always a higher risk activity, but you have to weigh up the time taken for the vertebrae to settle naturally with intervals of discomfort, against the chances of things going wrong in surgery with a shorter time to put things right.

I hope this makes sense!