Joining the TA: Mobilisation/volunteering requirement?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by singinhound, Aug 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Any advice: I'm considering joining the TA; but am both a separated parent and operations director with my company. I read that you can be mobilised with 10 day's notice to move, and if that happened it would be pretty had for me/my company to manage.

I understand that one can "avoid" mobilisation if your company states that your role is imperative and that they would suffer during your absence. However, knowing that I would fall into that bracket, it would feel utterly unsporting to join at all.

I have also heard that in practice TA mobilisation is voluntary, and that there are piles of soldiers queuing up to do so...

Does anyone have any knowledge regarding the reality of mobilisation? It’s been 15 years since I wore green and I notice things have changed somewhat…
  2. msr

msr LE

You might like to try the cadets as an AI.

3. Actually, not a bad idea, thank you!
  4. You could almost certainly get away without deploying - and plenty do. But you would feel pretty inadequate turning up to train for something that you are not ready/willing/able to do for real. So, unless you are in a position to deploy, best not to join.

msr's advice is sound - and the Cadets are always looking for good people.
  5. Thanks; that was my point exactly. I'd feel like Terry Thomas watching everyone else deploy. A bit like shooting yourself in the foot! Good advice.
  6. Do remember that the purposes of both are very different, and it's definitely not a case of 'the ACF is like the TA except without war'

As a TA soldier on a field weekend, you would be expected to get down and dirty, and do the fun stuff like running round a field shooting blanks at the DS Taliban.
    As an ACF AI on a field weekend, you still have to get cold and wet, but in place of the fun stuff you'll be teaching skills and supervising the fun stuff. So a section attack won't involve you getting an adrenaline rush and legging it around a field blatting off, but more likely standing in a field with a hi vis jacket on pointing the right direction and watching out for safety.

Your responsibility as a TA Pte extends to you, your weapon and your personal kit, maybe a wagon. Your responsibility as an ACF AI will probably extend to you, your weapon, your personal kit, maybe a wagon; plus 10 teenagers (which equates to 20 doses of personal admin as theirs doesn't tally up with adults), their weapons, their personal kit. Means that even getting breakfast can be stressful.

Etc, Etc.

I'm not by any means trying to put you off, it's a rewarding thing to do, a fun thing to do, and a more constructive use of the weekend than sitting around watching telly. Still plenty of good courses to go on, and, *shock horror* you get paid more per day than a TA Pte.

It's just not an alternative to the TA for those who can't deploy. The uniform is about the only similarity, the roles and responsibilities of AIs are completely different to the roles and responsibilities of a TA soldier. I wouldn't say it's easier or harder, it's a different skillset and different responsibility altogether and not really comparable. So you need to ask yourself what it is you're hoping to achieve, and whether the ACF suits that. A lot of ex-regs join hoping to 'get back into green' and find that the uniform really is just a formality and it's not like being 'back in green' at all.