joining the TA just wanted some advice

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by dale_w, Jul 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Im looking to join the TA as an infantryman, my nearest unit is Hornsey (The London Regiment B Company) ive started jogging and have a long way to go to get fit as i dont excercise regularly and am pretty unfit. i was wondering how long the application process takes and is it worth me applying now to give myself a little more motivation and a date to aim for? or should i keep training before contacting the unit. I want to get in a.s.a.p. and its just the fitness to sort out, any advice would be appreciated.
  2. msr

msr LE

Go along and speak to them, it will take some time to get your paperwork processed.

3. wow that was quick thanks,
  4. Go see them and get the ball rolling. You can always tell them you don't feel like you are ready to take on selection and they should understand. What is your 1.5 mile run time? For infantry, 13 minutes or under for selection is required - although you may be able to afford being slower if you give a good crack at it and you are overall a good egg.
    If you start the process now then all the boring paperwork is squared away and you don't have to worry about it later
  5. i was a sack of sh1te at christmas, i found the army fit online training video helpfull, i trained for 3 months before i went along for an interview so i did'nt look to shabby, there's some good advice in here on the 1.5 mile run, maybe try that.

i'm glad i joined up, it's the best shape i've ever been in

good luck to you
  6. im not up to running the 1.5 mile yet ive just started the armyfit program and im struggling as i havnt been keeping fit for years so im a bit out of practice.
  7. Do yourself a favour and join the main unit that lives in the Hornsey TA centre.
  8. what do you mean main unit?
  9. He's urging you to join C (144) Parachute Medical Squadron (V), the other unit that resides at Hornsey TAC.
  10. thanx
  11. HOY. Airbone Medics. Not for everyone granted.
  12. thanks but ive got my mind set on being an infantryman.
  13. ive just been attested at 52nd lowland 6 scots light role infantry detatchment in edinburgh last week so if you have any questions then ask as its still fresh in my mind, i was at ADSC selection weekend 4 weeks ago and been through the process you are going to.

My knowledge is free ;) just ask

Pvt G
  14. hi im curious what sort of questions you get asked at the interviews and what the selection weekend is like?
  15. At the interviews they will mainly ask why you want to join the forces, what you think you can bring to them and also if you are willing to go to war and know the risks etc

Ive pm'd you my selection weekend details, long but worth a read. Dont quote me though as it may differ but i done mines at Glencorse on the weekend of 19th - 21st June 09.

Pvt G