Joining the TA if spouse is serving regular soldier

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by daywalker, Jun 10, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

Evening all, quick question! The wife is debating joining our local TA unit but is unsure how it would work with me already serving. As in she is worried about the while commitment thing if I get fast balled somewhere and she cannot attend for a bit as she will have the children to look after.

Serious answers only please chaps and no I will not be posting naked pics of her so you can assess suitability!!
  2. If she joins a sensible unit, they'll understand the problem. Her problem is finding a sensible TA unit ...

Edited to add: if you live somewhere more or less mil-central, then they really ought to understand. It's hardly a unique situation.
  3. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

As the situation currently stands, it is no problem at all. If you are away, she doesn't have to go to the TA.

The problem you face is if they ever sort out the terms and conditions of service for FR2020, and it includes an element of compulsion- you may then face the problem of her being required to attend while you are away on operations or exercise.

One of the downsides of making TA training compulsory outside of mobilisation is that it will prevent a huge part of the population from joining, despite the fact that they could have probably done the majority of the training as long as there was a degree of flexibility about when.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. very-fat-girls-naked.jpg

D_L to the rescue!

I have pics... naked ones if you'd like to buy them?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I'd suggest that you worry more about looking after the kids while she's at Camp. It's the most likely trying-to-be-in-two-places-at-once scenario. If you have family who can look after them for a fortnight, it's less of a problem.
  6. But it doesn't have to be like that...

In the USNG - frequently quoted as the ultimate example of reservist TACOS - soldiers with genuine commitments can still get time off from training by clearing it with their CO.

And that is fundamentally what compulsion should be all about - a part time job where the default setting is "turn up", but with a sensible flexibility built in.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  7. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Doesn't have to be like that? Sensible?

You only have to read the ill thought out opinions of brave- coward et al to realise that the flexible and open minded nature of the more senior officer will not want to consider that option until they are absolutely forced to.
  8. Unfortunately I thought the current drive of reserve forces was to be fully trained and ready to deploy as a 'one Army' concept; so I would imagine that unless she is in a unit with a CO that is willing to flex the rules, it's likely to be a non-starter. However, a volunteer is better than a pressed man (or woman) and in trying to recruit and retain a 30k Army reserve, it'll be all hands to the pump!
  9. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

What people are so keen to ignore is that "fully trained and deployable" should be followed with "in accordance with their stated Notice to Move timeline". For most of the TA that will be well over 12 months, and plenty of time to organise child care if required.
  10. The plan is to have two armies - only a small proportion of which will be "fully trained and ready to deploy" at any given time...

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  11. So, as the Duke's first line says, there is no problem. If things change, your wife can re-think continuing to be in the TA, bearing in mind that your kids will be older and circumstances may change.
  12. Just to add...

At the moment, we don't know what the FR2020 changes will be. When they're finally published, the "one in five years mobilisation" could end up being a year of 48 hours Notice to Move readiness or immediate Flood Action commitment.

Worry about FR2020 after it becomes more than a catchy title.
  13. When 2020 does or is about to come into effect, will TA members have to sign/renew their contract?
  14. It doesn't matter. If you don't want the new conditions, you leave.
  15. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

I would hope this is any different to the many families where both parents are serving. In my experience, when push comes to shove the CoC will always ensure that tours/long exercises are deconflicted to allow for suitable childcare provision. I've had personal experience of this (my wife was serving) and also seen it happen plenty of times with others as well.

Bottom line is that I think she'll be fine although I'd strongly advise that she ensures the TA unit she is joining are aware of your job.