joining the TA at 36..... ??

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by dispatch1, Jun 2, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi
    new to this site so this is my first post. after being very close to joining regs years i go and shitting out at last minute i find myself here. now 36 years old. have a strong mechanical/eng background and am qualified fitness instructor ( although qual is 15 years old now). i am also a time served builder ( fixing mason) of 10 years. i have a spent drunken disorderly conviction from 2004 and have been in no other trouble since 96 when i was 20. i am fit and healthy although have had a very minor asthma complaint about 10 years ago.( packed in smoking and fine since).
    i want to join the TA and would like to apply to 302 commando troop based in bath.

how do my chances sit based on the info given thus far. ?? and how likely and how soon is a tour after training. ??

thanks

2. You should get in the TA somewhere if you are fit enough but don't hang about.

3. Get on with it youngster. Applications close when you're 44...

4. Go for it, you have nothing to loose and everything to gain. :O)

5. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Indeed, go for it. But i suggest the window might be closing if you want a tour to Afghanistan with the scheduled withdrawal in 2014/5.
    I dont know what 302 do, but sounds front line ish so i imagine there will be a lot of build up training anyway before a tour. so you might be looking at two and a half years training from walking in through the door before mobilisation
    If you have no luck with them, you still have 7 Rifles in Swindon and 6 Rifles (plus others) in Bristol.

Good luck fella :)

6. thanks for the replys. ok have got ball rolling. been down local recruitment office and had a chat with them. down to meet 302 commando troop tue week and push on from there. was worried about my criminal conviction but seems ok? got 3 years jail when i was just 21- but ran 2 +1 year concurent. been told i dont need to declare this as is spent ? have nothing else on my sheet aside a drunk disorder from 04 which is spent. my only other concern is i get very light ( and i mean light) psoriasis for about 2 months a year but we are talking a bit red in about 4 places and thats it. i also have had very light asthma in the past ( childhood) but have not had an inhaler for 2 years or more. i had a recent lung function test at gp and is well above average. i am more than confident of my fittness and 40 propper sit ups/chin ups /and press ups are no drama and running suits me over distance. and my gp is happy to state i am asthma clear and that skin cond occasional and light.

ive rambled but want this really bad so any advice/opinions would be good. thanks dispatch1

7. Ignore ex-stab, his drippy sentiment echoes his lack of operational experience and relevance to anything soldierly.

Go RMR, takes a whilst to get your lid but it's one of the only non regular units that doesn't shave off timings and distances to compensate for filling quotas. When your all done you have opportunities galore, rubber daggers deploy en masse with regular commandos be it on operations or on exercise.

8. thanks all but chavez v please calirify your point. bear in mind im green as grass with most of the terminology at present. cheers!

9. He's saying go Royal Marines Reserve as in his opinion they are a pure reserve force as in the times and distances are the same as the full time Royal Marines. He says it will take time to qualify as a Royal Marine Reserve and get you Green Beret however once you have done so then you get to deploy on operations and on exercise with regular Royal Marines.
    He infers that this has it's own camaraderie that along with naked roll mat fighting and womans underwear.

10. haha... yeah the old man was in for 27+ years so have heard all the roll mat storys and much worse from the falklands to iraq #1 . just didnt get the rubber daggers bit but on hindsight im guessing thats the part timers..

thanks. dispatch1

11. Yes, go RMR. good idea.

12. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Things may have changed and waivers and exemptions are possible (especially for those with previous service), but the cut-off age for Royal Marines Reserves is 32 years old: Do I Qualify to Join

Give them a call and see where you stand before you dismiss it. The number and other joining info is here: How to Join

13. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

44 for regular ta or medics, I knew they had upped the medics age.

mind you raf reserves is 55 now.

14. no can do- am over age limit. its 32 even for reserves ( more considered if previous army exp). im 36