Joining the TA as an ODP at aged 39

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by RustySanchez, Jan 5, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I qualify as an ODP (Operating Department Practitioner) in September this year and I've been seriously thinking about joining my local TA RAMC Field Hospital in Nottingham. The problem I have is that I'm 39. Although they say you can join up to the age of 43 do many people my age actually join up or will I look like a big div doing TA selection alongside 18 year olds?

I keep myself fairly fit - run 1.5 miles in 09.32, 82 press ups/78 sit ups in two minutes - so I think I meet the minimum standard there and I think my ODP qualification will be of interest to the TA.

Also, what's the 'retirement age' for the TA?

2. I remember back in 2007 in Scotland there were quite a few older guys rejoining when the army raised the mximum age for enlistment.

Going on those times you will smash most younger ones TBH! Currently they have the Risk Reduction run which must be complete in an embarressingly long time!

Dont waste any more time here, just phone the unit and start the process!

Best of luck!
  3. Do you have previous military experience Rusty?
  4. Hey Polar - I was regular Int Corps from 91-96 but it was so long ago now I don't think of it as being relevant.
  5. If you're looking at the Triumph Road TAC, then I believe that unit are entirely Para trained. You sound quite fit but as Dodgy-Engr says it's better to call them and maybe give them a visit. I suspect at 39, despite you're commendable fitness, you may find it hard work to reach that standard but others who have recent airborne forces experience are better placed to advise you than this sea-dweller.

I do know that the PTIs from the Triumph Road Para trained RAMC unit took an Int Corps Company on the 6 mile Chilwell TACFT route last year. They took the Company around the route in 1 hour 16 minutes (I know that technically it's a fail before all the PT Nazis react). Apparantly it looked like the retreat from Moscow and the TA Paras hadn't even broken sweat. Very cheeky. Makes you sick, eh?
  6. Hey Walrus - the Triumph Road Para trained unit is 144 Para Medical Sqn. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought about joining them but I'm realistic in knowing I'll never be able to pass P-Company at my age!! Fair play to anyone who gives it a go though - just not for me!

The unit I'm looking at is 212 Field Hospital in Beeston. They are a surgical unit and my ODP qualification would be just the thing they're after. It's just the age thing that concerns me!
  7. My advice. Don't see your age as an obstacle, see it as an advantage. You're obviously in good shape and easily in the green for a PFT, possibly in the 300 club with a bit of work (I know, I know. I await the PM from the PT Nazi who will know the required scores by heart for your age group). You've got previous military experience, a medical qualification and the enthusiasm to do the research. You'd be a strong candidate for them. You might even be able to get a tour in before they lift us off the roof of the Embassy in Kabul.
  8. 39 and fit with relevant qualifications and "green" experience.

Sod the 18 year olds (if there are any) and give them a call.

Good luck.
  9. Give it a go and see what happens!
  10. Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I'll give my local unit a call and arrange a time to talk to them and get things moving.
  11. Just wanted to say thanks again for all the encouragement! I've made contact with my local unit and the ball is rolling.
  12. Rusty, out of interest why not INT Corps (V) in Nottingham? I know you've already been there done that and all but they'd be very glad to hear from you.
  13. I really enjoyed my time with the Int Corps and in some ways wish I'd never left. However that was over 15 years ago now and my career has moved into the medical side of things, hence the Operating Department Practitioner course I'm on. I think by joining a TA medical unit I'll be able to put the skills I've learnt to very good use in a challenging environment, maintain my fitness levels AND do green stuff so it's a win/win/win situation.

I feel that this is my last chance to get back into green and it just makes more sense to use my current skills and hit the ground running with my Civvy qualifications rather than have to redo trade training again.