Joining the TA after being MDd from regulars

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Aunty Stella, Oct 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. OK, long and short of it, knees and ankles were fcuked after Grapple, got MD'd

    Could still pass a BFT but not a CFT. Def not an ICFT as the AAC do.

    Having recenty read that the TA recruitment age has been raised to 43 (I am 39), where can I join and considering my 9 yrs in the AAC, what should I join?

    I didn't want to leave, a sneaky AP mine on Grapple deided that but I am led to believe that I could rejoin as TA even though I was MD'd from the AAC.

    Gotta be honest, my WDP (which they gave me and I never asked for) makes up a big chunk of my mortgage payments . If I could swap that for TA pay I'd be happy.

    SO, can I join the TA as an MD'd ex reg, if so what happens to the WDP, finally, whats the best to join (if I can) at my age?
  2. Aunty fair play for the intention mate but what would you be intending to do? Assuming that all people joining are capable of deploying.

    Edit. Reread my post gave my head a wobble and decided you want some sort of instructor post, good luck to you.
  3. To be honest, anything would do. I'm bored sh1tless being a civvy

    All I want to know is if I can, and if I can, in what role. Considering that I may not be the best in an ICFT, what can I do next considering that I am a clever cnut ( ;) ) that has ex regular experience that wants to do something but can't due to being MD'd back in the day when failing a CFT would get you binned .

    Without wishing to sound like a cnut, others on here will tell you that I am fairly succesful and moderatley wealthy in my my business. But I am bored.

    I want back in.

    Can I do it in the TA after being MD'd as a R|egular?
  4. You could double yourself to Brize Norton, they'll strap four Allisons and some wings to you and have you doing Sarejavo landings in and out of Bastion in a fortnight.

    You look like a pasty skinned Hercules fuselage :D
  5. You can (met a few MDs from the regs) , but you lose any pension you have and if you left more than three years ago they may make you do CMS(R) which means you'll be doing a few CFT's.

    What trade interests you?
  6. msr

    msr LE

  7. Aunty your doing the same as I, aslong as you pass the Medical with the quack they'll send for your docs from glasgow, and you may have to sit a medical board who'll give you a yay or nay.
    Although I'm pretty sure on one of the application forms it states if you have been receiving a pension for injuries received you it makes you ineligble to rejoin.
  8. Well I was MD'd in 2003 yet passed a medical last week for my local mob. I explained the run up to the MD and the doc thinks I was shafted by the regs. I never wanted to be MD'd and it was against my wishes in the beginning to be kicked out. I have been paying the price ever since because the minute any employer finds out you were MD'd they start to think twice. I was lucky when I got in the old bill. I passed the medical and fitness pretty easily. I know I could do the fitness for the TA yet some pen pushing shiny arse in Glasgow could still say no!

    I know what your going through mate. A lot of people will say why not join the ACF if you wanna do something. I did take that route and to be honest its not worth it. Most of the cadet forces are made up of uniform carriers. The few decent ones in there soon get weeded out. It very much is a case of if your face dont fit etc etc. Anyway another topic me thinks.

    Get down your local unit mate and see what they say. I took advice from the guys on here (MSR etc) and told them the truth. I was expecting to get binned straight away but was passed medically fit to join. If I lose the pension so be it. I can replace that with TA pay. I just wanted to do my bit again and do something with my life whilst I am still young enough to do so.

    Bear with it and let us all know how you get on!
  9. Spanish_Dave

    Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

    I know someone in the TA who still gets his war pension
  10. Its reassuring to know that you can get in the TA whilst in receipt of a WP or SDP.
  11. RP578

    RP578 LE Book Reviewer


    There is hope and it goes like this:

    According to the TA Enlistment Instructions (AC 63522), para 0301.(e) the following type of person is not eligible to enlist: "Persons in receipt of disability pensions from any source, except that in special cases applications may be submitted for consideration to the appropriate officer in charge of records..."

    And that neatly leads us to the next chapter which covers Special Enlistments.

    TA Enlistment Instructions (AC 63522), para 0401. (o): "Volunteers who are in receipt of a disability pension from any source" will need to be enlisted under the Special enlistment procedure."

    An AFB 203 form will have to be sent to Glasgow for approval before you can be attested. In short, if your unit wants you enough, there exists a procedure to get you attested. Whether you'll make it through basic training or not is another matter and is something you might want to talk to unit about. As msr said, there are other ways to serve and the ACF may just fill the void.
  12. If he had to lose his pension, then because of his injuries failed CMS(R) would he get the pension back?
  13. RP578

    RP578 LE Book Reviewer

    Yeah that's what I was thinking. It's a lot to gamble, if he and his unit thinks that he has a chance ...
  14. What about trying to land a civvie job for the army?
  15. msr

    msr LE

    Do try and read the entire thread.