Joining the Royal Fleet Aux

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Hoochie, Feb 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ladies/Gents, I know that this is probably the wrong area but I'm just after some general info and thoughts.

I'm fed up with the doing the 9 till 5 thing and shining the seat of trousers everyday, too old to go back into the regs proper, besides my wagon has been replaced twice since I moved out of the RAC (not really interested about land locked option now truth be told). Did a spell on our Regt's affiliated sister ship (Type 21 Frigate HMS Arrow) when I was in the mob and enjoyed being and working at sea immensly.

Now I'm to old to join the Navy proper, but I still have a few years of grace to go for the civvy branch RFA, I will still be doing my bit for the troops though with them afterall. Now what I'm after is how will the RFA training compare to regualr army basic and what type of fitness levels will I have to get myself into for it (been out since 98, but still in canny good shape for a civvy shinny arse), interested in joining in the comm's role.

Your thoughts as always will be greatly appreciated folks.
  2. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

You did read the bit that said A R M Y on the front didn't you? Where does it say shirt lifting navy questions, please post here? :twisted:
  3. Never mind the uniform being a strange colour...

Four months paid leave per year? My school careers advisor didn't mention this occupation.

Move over, Hoochie! You're in the way!
  4. Hence the post in the NAAFI Bar, you do know what the N in NAAFI stands for, don't you? :?
  5. Bear in mind that you'll be working 7 days a week when you're at sea. Not sure about watch keeping arrangements on RFA ships but in war zones, matelots can be on duty for 100 hours a week for months at a time.

Having said that, you'll not be sleeping in a hole in the ground, eating corned beef hash 3 times a day and using amusingly improvised toilets.
  6. Yep it is (altogther now)
    No Ambition And Fcuking Interest :D

Anyway mate how old are you if you don't mind. Good luck anyhow

7. 38 years kidder, and want a change in pace and lifestyle. the long hours will not be an issue or the 7 day shifts - got the T-shirt kind of thing for most of us on here anyway like routine after all!!!
  8. A TA mate was full of the virtues of the RFA when he joined them. Yet, despite the accrued leave and what was then considered quite good pay, he quit half way through his first voyage.

Might have been something to do with the year being 1982 and his ship, the Sir Galahad.
  9. 4 Months leave??? It would be wasted on you old farts where do i sign up
  10. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I'm sure he'd be far better asking the question on Rum Ration, this is the ARMY rumour service after all. There's a NAAFI on every Army camp as well but they don't have matelots in them. :wink:
  11. There are a few regular posters from the RFA on here I seem to recall, one of them even posted a lengthy job description trying to get people to sign up.

Do a search
  12. This is the thread you're after:

You might also want to take a look at or, better yet, give RFA recruitment a ring on 0845 60 40 520 (ask to speak to Ian).

It's a strange existance, a bit like spending your life doing 4 month tours followed by POTL - good stuff if you like that sort of thing. There are plenty of ex-servicemen (RN, Army and even a few RAF) but life in the RFA is a fuck of a lot more relaxed - mainly due to the fact that our average age is probably nearer 40 than 18.

Oh, and everything you've heard about RFA stewards is true...
  13. ...and as if by magic, thats the chap. I almost signed up myself when I read that thread, in fact reading it again now the urge comes back
  14. Sounds like a plan. Very tempting.
  15. Oh - and here's the clincher - when you do your training alongisde the RN at Sultan or Raleigh, you will have the matchless satisfaction of fulling a life-long ambition i.e telling gobby PTIs to get fcuked with absolute impunity! ;)