Joining the Royal Artillery as a woman

Mscherry

Clanker
Hello,
First time posting so hopefully I've posted on the right forum.
So I plan on joining the royal artillery, got to pass selection atm, anyway I'm a she, do women get treated the same as men when doing the jobs? I'm going for the light gunner, just waned to know what's life as a light gunner is like? And I know I can volunteer for the 29 CRA, ive read that only one woman was able to pass the course. So if I get in as a light gunner , can I volunteer straight away after phase 2 or do I have to gain experience ?

Thanks

Are you doing GCSE journalism?

I can't answer your questions because I was an Engineer not an Artilleryman. However what I can say is that you are likely to get a lot of irrelevent and irreverent answers here.

So just stick with it and sort the wheat from the chaff and you might get some answers that will help.

Dread

LE
(Wah shield up) I don't believe the Army will waste time sending another lass on the AACC, however you'll find out the easy way once you join up. You can indicate a preference for 29 Cdo RA as soon as you arrive at Phase 2...

...though if you are not already supremely fit at that stage, and the top of your troop in almost every aspect, be prepared to be laughed at for the rest of your short military career. (Wah shield down).

You'll be treated exactly the same as the blokes, albeit with slightly different timings and weights for events.

The best way to pass the course is to post photos of your tits here. Just in case you a. have any and b. are stupid enough to do it.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I, just for a laugh, am going to be serious for a moment. (stop sniggering at the back)
having spent several postings and a couple of tours with Artillery I can confirm that you'll be treated just like any other woman in any other work place. A lot of it will depend on how you behave, act like a pillock and you'll be treated like a pillock.
There is a good chance you'll experience some form of sexism, and many many people will have a go at getting into your knickers. Some of them may be men*.

*most of them will look like men except for the ones who are actually men.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I tried to join as a woman but wasn't allowed. Something to do with me being a man.

When I said that I wasn't a light gunner but a rear gunner, they threw me out of the recruiting office.

I hear things are different these days.

In my day the women were given the same opportunities as the males and for the most part did all the same jobs & courses. I was a cloudpuncher not a gun bunny and we had, I believe the Army's first female trained Javelin operator in out Troop.
She also later trained as a Saxon driver for the command post. Very switched on & new all the book learning verbatim.
Physically she was lacking in height & had to stand on a box to use an LML & could only get into the back of a Land Rover if the tail gate was down or a trailer was hitched up but she still did it all so credit where it's due.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
Hello,
First time posting so hopefully I've posted on the right forum.
So I plan on joining the royal artillery, got to pass selection atm, anyway I'm a she, do women get treated the same as men when doing the jobs? I'm going for the light gunner, just waned to know what's life as a light gunner is like? And I know I can volunteer for the 29 CRA, ive read that only one woman was able to pass the course. So if I get in as a light gunner , can I volunteer straight away after phase 2 or do I have to gain experience ?

Thanks

Can't answer the specifics about 29 CRA, but I work closely with a major from the Royal Artillery who happens to be female, had a couple of lively tours in hot'n'sandy places (including pressing some 1980s-vintage D30 howitzers into service with... interesting results), and is thoroughly switched on and competent. No problems or dramas apparent.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Can't answer the specifics about 29 CRA, but I work closely with a major from the Royal Artillery who happens to be female, had a couple of lively tours in hot'n'sandy places (including pressing some 1980s-vintage D30 howitzers into service with... interesting results), and is thoroughly switched on and competent. No problems or dramas apparent.

Those Russian guns broke one of my (female) medics and we hadn't even got on the tour. Hearing injury which was originally thought to be dislocated ossicles. Happened during PDT in Norway.