Joining the RMP

Discussion in 'AGC, RAPTC and SASC' started by Mike444, Mar 2, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am about to join the RMP within the next feww months. May to be precise. I will go to Winchester for phase one and was wondering if anyone has got any advice or tips for phase one training. Oh and why are the RMP called monkies

2. Hi,
    How Long did the whole process take from showing interest to getting a start date?

3. Lots of stories why we are called Monkeys. The old Reg Sec said that when the guys were about to go 'over the top' during WWI, the MP's would be standing on a high ledge at the side of the trench, watching the men go over. If any stayed and refused to go, the MP would climb down from the ledge (hence the 'monkey' bit) and shoot the men with a revolver!

Unfortunately, this practice is long gone, but we are still allowed to carry out military executions if the situation is deemed necessary. Hoorah!

4. Lots of stories why we are called Monkeys. The old Reg Sec said that when the guys were about to go 'over the top' during WWI, the MP's would be standing on a high ledge at the side of the trench, watching the men go over. If any stayed and refused to go, the MP would climb down from the ledge (hence the 'monkey' bit) and shoot the men with a revolver!

Unfortunately, this practice is long gone, but we are still allowed to carry out military executions if the situation is deemed necessary. Hoorah!

5. :roll: say it often enough and it becomes a truism ....... eventually :wink:

6. Given the total abolition of the death penalty in the UK for everything including being ginger in a public place,where does it say this?(not that I would doubt the word of one of Her Majesty's finest)

7. My understanding of the nickname 'monkey' derives from the days of the Egyptian Mounted Police, who wore red fezes. This gave rise to linking them to the term 'monkey and organ grinder' and from there we get a handy nickname.

Of course, like all nicknames, it's probably all bollocks.

Oh, and regarding the death penalty: utter tosh. The death penalty was removed from all statue books last year - you could get it for arson in a naval dockyard, high treason or theft of the crown jewels from the High Constable's custody (i.e. B&E in the Tower of London).

8. Indeed you can carry out a military execution if you so wish. Unfortunately, the correct term for this is "murder" It may well be justified in some cases, but be prepared to spend the next twenty years in a very small room with an "overfriendly" 18st skinhead who would like you to call him Brenda.

9. Does that mean I can now commit high treason safe in the knowledge that they won't kill me for it?

10. Yes,but they could post you to Deepcut!

11. So if you see RMP looking at you funny with a weapon in his hand shoot the fecker and claim self defence.

'T'was him or me m'lud' :wink:

12. Always worth a try even if he hasn't got a gun in his hand!

13. To CowboyBob I went in to the careers office in January and was at a Recruit Selection Centre in February and away in May. It takes About 6-8 Weeks t get to an RSC and if you pass your date to start training is all dependant on your job choice and the number in each intakes and the amount of intakes in each year

14. The procedures for the conduct of military executions are outlined in the current Provost Manual (Vol 3 I think). So although the death penalty has gone, the doctrine remains in place.

To dispell some myths, the firing party is drawn from the soldier's unit and the whole thing is overseen by the senior RMP officer in the formation. There is only one word of command - "fire" following which the MO and RMP offr dress forward to certify death - and if he's still kicking: "the senior Provost Officer will withdraw his revolver and ..."

All pretty clinical when you read it in black & white.

I thought Monkeys was because their knuckles trial on the ground