Joining the Reserves at university?

Has anyone got any information/personal experience on what it would be like to be in the reserves while at university.

Cheers.
I have. I joined a local infantry battalion as a Private soldier instead of going the OTC route. I would highly recommend it - particularly if you have aspirations for future service.

I have. I joined a local infantry battalion as a Private soldier instead of going the OTC route. I would highly recommend it - particularly if you have aspirations for future service.
Cheers for the reply.
I've passed the AOSB and will be going to Sandhurst after university, and as I have no past experience, learning all I can about the Army is key for me. Would you say that studying and being in the reserves are not mutually exclusive?
I know the OTC is based around studies but I would have no problem missing a few nights out/social events if it means I can spend time in the reserves progressing more than I would in the OTC.

Thanks for the reply

Cheers for the reply.
I've passed the AOSB and will be going to Sandhurst after university, and as I have no past experience, learning all I can about the Army is key for me. Would you say that studying and being in the reserves are not mutually exclusive?
I know the OTC is based around studies but I would have no problem missing a few nights out/social events if it means I can spend time in the reserves progressing more than I would in the OTC.

Thanks for the reply
Indeed - and it is a lot easier to be a student in the Reserves than it is to have full-time employment and be in the Reserves.

Whilst I wasn't at uni, I was in the TA as a Tom when I was studying for my A levels at college - Royal Signals and then Devon and Dorsets.

Not only did it give me valuable beer tokens it gave me a depth of experience for when I joined the Regulars that others in my squad didn't have.

Go for it!!

Cheers for the reply.

Thanks for the reply
The Reserves have the disadvantage of not being based around term times like OTCs are but I never found that a problem.

I had no problem studying and balancing my Reserve commitments - the biggest commitment came at the beginning - the training weekends and then CIC. I couldn’t go on the earliest available CIC but that’s not drama in the general scheme of things.

I had no real TA aspirations - I wanted to learn core infantry skills, and learn about the Army as you do. I loved it - the infantry skills set me up for RMAS and I even managed to fit a TELIC in before RMAS.

The disadvantage is that there is perhaps an ‘old boys’ aspect to OTC which means you will know a lot more people when you go to sandhurst - and you will likely have a lot more AT qualifications.

Another plus about the Reserves is that you learn from the ground up and what it's like to be a private soldier. You will have a chance to observe your officers and see what makes a good one, and even more valuable what makes a 'less than good one' and what to avoid.
It is different to be rifleman in a section with mates from all walks of life than be in a section at Sandhurst and a valuable insight. You learn what the boys want and how they feel and their language, as well as learning tactics and how things work, and of course how to look after yourself and kit which will be a help later on.
It certainly has advantages, and worked for me.

Indeed - and it is a lot easier to be a student in the Reserves than it is to have full-time employment and be in the Reserves.

Whilst I wasn't at uni, I was in the TA as a Tom when I was studying for my A levels at college - Royal Signals and then Devon and Dorsets.
Lad I know did that when I joined, Fusilier TA, comissioned RA (wanted inf but a brigadier's son got the slot) and ended up as a full colonel. Didn't do him any harm at all.
Not only did it give me valuable beer tokens it gave me a depth of experience for when I joined the Regulars that others in my squad didn't have.
Ah yes. The smug feeling at the end of year when everyone else is weighing up eating or having a beer and you still have your bounty money jingling in your pockets as you head towards the bar. :-D
Plus in the start of the autumn term when you get all the beers you bought repaid. :drunken: