Joining the reserves as a paramedic.

Was looking for some advice regarding reserves recruitment.

I am an NHS student paramedic currently and therefore once qualified would like to join as a professionally qualified paramedic officer. However, I am still training and will not be qualified until 2021. I am not sure what my best course of action is: whether to wait until qualified and go in as an officer or join now and hope I'll be able to get my commission once PQ'd.

I am an NHS student paramedic currently and therefore once qualified would like to join as a professionally qualified paramedic officer. However, I am still training and will not be qualified until 2021. I am not sure what my best course of action is: whether to wait until qualified and go in as an officer or join now and hope I'll be able to get my commission once PQ'd.
Do you think the qualities required of a paramedic are the same as those required of an officer in the British Army?

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Which unit are you thinking of joining?

I spent a fair bit of time at uni and was around the Reserves too. My advice would be to get your 2nd year under your belt before you start signing on any dotted lines if you are going for PQ. Alternatively go and stick your nose into the OCTU nearest to you if you can that will give you exposure without hard commitment.

Last edited:
Do you think the qualities required of a paramedic are the same as those required of an officer in the British Army?

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk
I'd still want to work in emergency medical services and as a soldier I'd be limited to being a combat medic, which the sgt I spoke with said is already beneath my current skillset. As an PQ'd officer I'd have my qualities and skills of being a HCPC registered paramedic recognised. Frankly I don't know how comparable the qualities are but the army recognises the profession as officer level.

I'd still want to work in emergency medical services and as a soldier I'd be limited to being a combat medic, which the sgt I spoke with said is already beneath my current skillset. As an PQ'd officer I'd have my qualities and skills of being a HCPC registered paramedic recognised. Frankly I don't know how comparable the qualities are but the army recognises the profession as officer level.
Paramedics enter as professionally qualified soldiers. That means they're fast tracked to Corporal and can serve until 60. They have a leadership role over CMT's who are not paramedics, and a clinical training and mentoring role.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/335MER/posts/

Go and join something completely different. You can always come back to the RAMC later.