Joining the reserves, 16 years later..

Hi all,

I joined the regs 16 years ago when I was 17 (PWRR infantry) and DOR'd after about 12 weeks at ITC Catterick. It was always something that stuck with me as a significant failure - and always something I looked back on with a lot of shame.

Having grown up a lot (I'm about to hit 33), and being much fitter than I was at 17 (this year I completed the Paras10 race and Fan Dance Race in sub 4 hours) I've been thinking about rejoining the reserves.

I've got to be honest with myself and say the infantry or paras probably aren't for me. Though I now think I could have a good go at completing the physical aspect, I don't want to be spending loads of time in the freezing cold, soaking wet in the field. I know it's something that has to be done by everyone from time to time, but I don't want it to be most of what I do. I want to maximise my chances of enjoying it, and sticking with it.

My real interest would be to work with armoured vehicles, driving/gunning/loading but it seems there are no units that would enable me to do that with the Challenger 2 or Warrior vehicles in London. I took a look at other units in the RAC and noticed the Westminster Dragoons are nearby. From what I can tell, they look like they might be a mix of armoured and infantry based work which would be pretty ideal. Another thing I'd be very interested in is the RLC as a driver.

I've already applied and am waiting on the recruitment team to get back to me, so I'll be sure to ask the recruiter for advice, but I'd like to know as much as possible beforehand. Does anyone have advice about the reserve units in London that would allow me to drive and work with the military vehicles, whilst also doing some general soldiering?

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi all,

I joined the regs 16 years ago when I was 17 (PWRR infantry) and DOR'd after about 12 weeks at ITC Catterick. It was always something that stuck with me as a significant failure - and always something I looked back on with a lot of shame.

Having grown up a lot (I'm about to hit 33), and being much fitter than I was at 17 (this year I completed the Paras10 race and Fan Dance Race in sub 4 hours) I've been thinking about rejoining the reserves.

I've got to be honest with myself and say the infantry or paras probably aren't for me. Though I now think I could have a good go at completing the physical aspect, I don't want to be spending loads of time in the freezing cold, soaking wet in the field. I know it's something that has to be done by everyone from time to time, but I don't want it to be most of what I do. I want to maximise my chances of enjoying it, and sticking with it.

My real interest would be to work with armoured vehicles, driving/gunning/loading but it seems there are no units that would enable me to do that with the Challenger 2 or Warrior vehicles in London. I took a look at other units in the RAC and noticed the Westminster Dragoons are nearby. From what I can tell, they look like they might be a mix of armoured and infantry based work which would be pretty ideal. Another thing I'd be very interested in is the RLC as a driver.

I've already applied and am waiting on the recruitment team to get back to me, so I'll be sure to ask the recruiter for advice, but I'd like to know as much as possible beforehand. Does anyone have advice about the reserve units in London that would allow me to drive and work with the military vehicles, whilst also doing some general soldiering?

Cheers
Have a shufti at this: Reserve units in London - British Army

The royal yeomanry are in London. The are a light cavalry unit and use wmik landrovers for recce. They are getting jackal as well soon. You will spend your time outdoors though so maybe not ideal for what your looking for.

Thanks for this info, both of you.

I did take a look at this link before: Reserve units in London - British Army

But wasn't really too sure what the units actually do. It's hard to figure it out in terms of the day to day stuff!

Snapper thanks for your insight, I'm happy to do outdoor work but does it tend to be as heavily always outdoors as the infantry?

Thanks again guys

Yes, when on exercise you will be outdoors either dismounted or driving in an open top vehicle.
The royal Wessex yeomanry train to be cr2 crewmen but i don't think they are in London.

Yes, when on exercise you will be outdoors either dismounted or driving in an open top vehicle.
The royal Wessex yeomanry train to be cr2 crewmen but i don't think they are in London.
Thanks for the info. You're right, they're pretty far outside of London - just had a check to see if I could commute it but it's a good 3 hours away which is a shame.

Thanks again for helping me out

Thanks for the info. You're right, they're pretty far outside of London - just had a check to see if I could commute it but it's a good 3 hours away which is a shame.

Thanks again for helping me out
Here is a few links to the reserve units from the other link I posted earlier. Might give you a few more ideas about what they do. To be fair there's not much extra info included in the links, but better than nowt.

151 Regiment RLC

C (KSY) Sqn RY - The Sharpshooters

3 Military Intelligence

South East RFCA > Reserves > Army Reserve > REME > 133 Recovery Company REME

Here is a few links to the reserve units from the other link I posted earlier. Might give you a few more ideas about what they do. To be fair there's not much extra info included in the links, but better than nowt.

151 Regiment RLC

C (KSY) Sqn RY - The Sharpshooters

3 Military Intelligence

South East RFCA > Reserves > Army Reserve > REME > 133 Recovery Company REME
Thank you mate this is really useful - the toughest thing is picking a goal from so many interesting positions.

Latest Threads