Joining the REME after uni.

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by Carzy, Jul 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey all, i was looking at joining my local TA REME next summer when im finished with uni, i was wondering if theres any other engineers out there who could tell me what its like? Also i was thinking of doing my officer training and was wondering whats the best way to go about that. I popped in to the local recruiting office last week but forgot to ask about the officer training.

cheers all.

2. Carzy.

There is so much wrong with this post, but I will bite.

Don't put an "s" after REME

There are no "engineers" in REME

For a Uni bod you should have sorted out basic grammar by now.

I know that many serving Officers have bad memories, but to forget to ask about future employment as one at the point of contact sounds like a real problem.

3. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Easy process:

1. Locate your nearest TA REME Unit (Note: do NOT go to another Cap Badge with A REME Det - they will do their damndest to steal you away...
    )

2. Have a chat with a PSI - they know the score - and if possible (and if of course there's one around) a REME TA Officer.

3. If your degree is in anything vaguely involved with mechanical engineering (and I do mean vaguely) then a Commission is what you should be looking towards.

Feel free to PM me for further details. OH, and no more REMEs, please. Even Reem is better than that....

4. msr

msr LE

This is not a pissing contest. The guy wants to join the TA. Keep the advice on topic.

msr

5. My post was relevant, as the biased (and incorrect) opinion of the poster I was replying to, may well have influenced the original poster's choice of trade. I realise I was guilty of trying to add a little humour in the form of trade related banter. Sense of humour handed in at the amnesty.

6. thanks for the replies, right so no more 's' after REME check. I know it was a bit stupid to forget to ask about the officer training at the time but it was just for initial enquiries and that thought lapsed while i was talking to the recruiter.

I know where the nearest TA REME unit is, would it be worth starting my enquiries now for next year or is that too soon?

again thanks for the help.

7. msr

msr LE

Go and speak to them.

msr

8. Carzy, I did 13 years regular service in REME and thought that the vast majority of TA Tradesmen I met (and worked with) were very professional.

You could do a lot worse mate.

Good Luck.

9. Cheers all, much appreciated.

10. I would go further and say that if your degree has "Engineering" in the title, you are a shoe-in.

We had an OC Wksp with an Agricultural Engineering Degree. Tractor recognition skills were amazing.