Joining the RAF Reserve

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Top_Man, Jan 30, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. With the state of the TA so bad now, is joining the RAF reserve a viable alternative. Rumour is that they know how to look after their personnel, train them properly etc. Any honest advice

2. The RAF Reserves train their people in a different way. In the TA, the recruit does X-amount of weekends, then a two week camp. The RAFR does it the other way around. The recruit does the two week camp first.
    During GWII, BBC News 24 reported from an RAF base which was being guarded by reservists with only a couple of weeks training. Granted, it was not on the front line, but it must have been a Hell of a learning curve; from civvie to Active Service in less than a month!
    Most RAF Reserves are employed in the Force Protection/Survive to Operate role. In other words, as part-time Rockapes.

3. I looked at joing the RAuxAF many years ago, so I may be out of date. The big difference then was that the trade standards were identical and rigidly enforced, so that regulars and part-timers were interchangeable without further training - so there was a lot of wastage. This was at the time when the RAuxAF were operating the Falklands capture L40/70s in the LLAD role, so perhaps it wasn't a bad idea.

4. How about the RN reserve (or RM reserve)? Considered them?

And what do you mean the state of the TA so bad? If you mean the media harping on about numbers, then theres one way to improve that and thats going down your local drill hall on a Tuesday night... I'm in a TA unit and don't have an idea what you are on about with bad states! You join a force for the job you'll be doing and who you'll do it with. So can you elaborate?

5. msr

msr LE

With a mate!

msr

6. mmmmm the TA in a bad state??? numbers wise well yes its under recruited, however since the compulsory call ups (telic fingal et al) most of the bounty hunting pie eaters have left. This equates to a more professional organisation who have a real role, and also opportunities galore for motivated individuals.

A rather rushed and simplified view but thats my take on it anyway, your thoughts please.........

7. Yeh if there IS underrecruitment (is that even a word?) then it just gives you more of a chance to get in to do what you want, and make your mark... It means as a junior you will probably get more opportunity to take appointments as well and show you can advance through the ranks (i.e. Ptes as sect comd/2ics, if you don't bodge it too badly you may find yourself on a PJ NCOs course in a bit....)

8. Really? I've spent the last year dropping down (ranks) to do Cpls work, Cpls doing LCpls/Siggies work etc .... SSgts hate it, Sgt and Cpls hate it.......... so even more leave........

9. If anything, Gook, you end up with Sgts & Staffies doing section commander stuff.

10. I presume you are hacked off with poor management, training, morale etc and can understand your reasons for looking elsewhere. Our local crab-air offer re-enlistment up to the age of 55, with service up to 65. They offer a lot more than guarding camps, and from experience, do short mobilisation tours (4 months and 1 day - the day means lots more leave apparently). Dunno if blue would suit you, but at least you get 2's, C95 and casual dress.

11. Topman,

IMHO the RAF Reserve is definitely worth a visit.

I went to visit my local TA unit, the PSAO was not interested in me or my relevant experience. He turned me away and told me come back in a month, as he was far to busy. He did nt even ask me my name. I turned up one month later to an ill prepared half hour presentation from a 2Lt. There was no programme, no literature, no tour of the unit, no photos/slides of the unit doing the job. All I got was a invitation to turn up the following Tuesday......for what I am not quite sure.

My general impression was very poor indeed:

The CSM was not interested at all when I asked him a question, preferring to sit behind his desk, looking at me as if I was something he had just wiped of his boot.

The members of the unit I did see in uniform looked like Gareth from the office.

On the other hand the RAF Reserve have sent me various letters and information leaflets, I have been invited to an information day (they included a itinerary) and they included details for my travel warrant.

The decision for me has been pretty easy really......the TA made it for me.
    I know all TA units are not the same, and I am sure there are good TA recruitment teams out there but I definitely did nt meet them. The TA unit I visited was everything I hoped it would nt be.

My advice, go and visit all three services, and then make up your mind.

12. msr

msr LE

Chiron,

Please name and shame your local TA unit.

msr

13. msr,

My intention was nt to slag off my local TA unit, thats why I have nt mentioned there name already.
    I was trying to give Topman my honest opinion, and some advice as he asked for.

In all honesty I was gutted that the TA unit did nt turn out to be all I expected, I really keen to join them, but I was left disappointed.

14. msr

msr LE

Chiron,

They are failing if they treat anyone who wants to join the way they have treated you. They should be named and shamed in order to bring about a change in attitude.

msr

15. I agree; there's no excuse.

RAFVR? From what I hear, if you like NBC, fill your boots. From time to time I've met various rock-ape officers on courses (over the years, PCBC, Mortar, CATAC and some seminars) and they all seemed very non-enthused by the routine, which seemed to be basically 80% NBC, 10% practicing stagging on outside hangers, and 10% teaching RAF ground-staff NBC, basic weapon handling and.... how to stag-on.