Joining the parachute regiment

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by sedanman32, Dec 8, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Help
    Ive probably posted this in the wrong section but im sure a nice moderator type will put it where it should be if needed.

My son is adamant he wants to joint the paras. He is 14 at the moment (15 in January ) and everyone he speaks to (Army careers/online services) gives him different timescales for joining applying etc . So can anyone tell me the real aplication/joining ages etc. All help greatly apreciated. :)
  2. He can apply at 15 years and 7 months and could go on to start training on his 16th birthday.
  3. Nearly about right mate.

15 years 7 to start application and he'd either go to Harrogate in Sept 09 or January 10 (if 14 now) intakes(42 weeks) or Bassingbourn after August (approx 26 weeks) then onto Catterick for a further 14 weeks or so for infantry and para training once he's over 16. Age range for junior entry is between 16 and 17.1 for start of basic college courses.
    If he's only 14 at the moment he's probably only year 10 so might be an idea to get him in Army cadets in the mean time for a bit of experience of mixing and doing military activities (looks good to recruiter)

It might be an idea to put this in training wing and look up previous posts on AFC, you may find that you wont get too much joy at the ACIO until your lad gets to year 11. If you have any specific questions pm me and ill try to answer if i can.
  4. Thanks for the replys people.
    He will be 15 on Jan 3rd he has spent the last 2 years at air cadets and overlaped the last couple of months with Army cadets. He has now left the air cadets and is concentrating on the Army cadets.
    He is also spending time doing his own circuit training and started running.
  5. As said mate even though he's 16 in January 2009 he wont be able to join till August 09 at Bassingbourn or September 2009 at Harrogate. Tell him to keep in the cadets.