Joining the INT co from New Zealand

rezMB ChB

Swinger
Hey guys,

So basically, I am a dual citizen NZ and British. I have lived in the Uk and NZ all my life (mostly NZ though). Now I am currently halfway through a medical degree (4th year) here in new zealand, and I am wanting to join the army as an officer and hopefully get placed into the intelligence corps. Why you ask? well, I was in Christchurch hospital when the shooting occurred and helped to treat victims and have seen the effects of terrorism on this country, I dont see it as being islamic or white surpremasism, terrorism is terrorism and the effects on a nation and society as so big. I would have joined the NZ security service but past history has shown them to be rather incompetent at making any change or preventing terrorism here. Also have had a recent relationship breakup which has effectively severed my ties here in new zealand.

I have 2 questions
1) do I meet the requirements to join? both as a regular officer and to get security clearance needed for intelligence corps.

2) Does anyone have any idea of how competitive it is to join from RMAS? much of medicine is just analytics, problem solving and people skills. My fitness isnt extreme but I can run 2.4km sub 9 minutes (on a treadmill at least XD)

Thank you all for advice in advance, sorry if I broke any rules or am asking stupid questions.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

So basically, I am a dual citizen NZ and British. I have lived in the Uk and NZ all my life (mostly NZ though). Now I am currently halfway through a medical degree (4th year) here in new zealand, and I am wanting to join the army as an officer and hopefully get placed into the intelligence corps. Why you ask? well, I was in Christchurch hospital when the shooting occurred and helped to treat victims and have seen the effects of terrorism on this country, I dont see it as being islamic or white surpremasism, terrorism is terrorism and the effects on a nation and society as so big. I would have joined the NZ security service but past history has shown them to be rather incompetent at making any change or preventing terrorism here. Also have had a recent relationship breakup which has effectively severed my ties here in new zealand.

I have 2 questions
1) do I meet the requirements to join? both as a regular officer and to get security clearance needed for intelligence corps.

2) Does anyone have any idea of how competitive it is to join from RMAS? much of medicine is just analytics, problem solving and people skills. My fitness isnt extreme but I can run 2.4km sub 9 minutes (on a treadmill at least XD)

Thank you all for advice in advance, sorry if I broke any rules or am asking stupid questions.
Whilst your reasons for wanting to join are laudable, why not join as a doctor?

The only issue I'd expect you to hit is your living in NZ possibly preventing you from reaching the security level required. Have a look on the nsv website.

If so join another capbadg e and swing into int later.

From their website

Developed Vetting is required for all Intelligence Corps personnel, and the majority of personnel require additional clearances. All security clearances are assessed on a case by case basis; however there are certain criteria which must be met, including 10 years residency in the UK. Further advice on your individual background and circumstances is available from the Intelligence Corps representatives.

rezMB ChB

Swinger
From their website

Developed Vetting is required for all Intelligence Corps personnel, and the majority of personnel require additional clearances. All security clearances are assessed on a case by case basis; however there are certain criteria which must be met, including 10 years residency in the UK. Further advice on your individual background and circumstances is available from the Intelligence Corps representatives.
Ah damn, guess that ruins my dreams of being an INT officer. I flicked the candidate manager an email about waivers but doubt it. Even though I am from a 5 eyes country.

Whilst your reasons for wanting to join are laudable, why not join as a doctor?

The only issue I'd expect you to hit is your living in NZ possibly preventing you from reaching the security level required. Have a look on the nsv website.

If so join another capbadg e and swing into int later.
I guess wanting to become a doctor is no longer part of what I want in life, not only because of CHCH but the breakup has kind of changed where I see/want to go in life. I would rather use my skills at something else.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Hey guys,

I have 2 questions

Int Corps - no idea but the site is full of people who have. It should be on the Army website somewhere.

I doubt it's changed much but for Sandhurst it used to be - get sponsorship (generally from a unit), pass RCB (AOSB), turn up at RMAS to clean things and get shouted at, commission and commence the steady climb to CDS.

Forget about competition, you can't do anything about it beyond your own personal performance and you're either in or you're out regardless of how many other people are chasing places. Once at RMAS, your future largely depends on you and whether your desired unit's happy that it's filled its available slots without you or whether you're too good to pass up. Fitness-wise, as a general rule get as fit as you can and stay that way.

One piece of advice though, you haven't earned the right to criticise the NZ security forces and people (particularly assessors) will take a dim view if you go chopsing off about organisations you haven't worked for and whose challenges you haven't faced personally - apart from anything else, it shows a lack of awareness. Make coming to the UK a positive - wider options and more of them - rather than running down your country and the people serving it.

Good luck.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Join another capbadge then after you meet the residency requirement, if you still want to, look to transfer to Int.

rezMB ChB

Swinger
Int Corps - no idea but the site is full of people who have. It should be on the Army website somewhere.

I doubt it's changed much but for Sandhurst it used to be - get sponsorship (generally from a unit), pass RCB (AOSB), turn up at RMAS to clean things and get shouted at, commission and commence the steady climb to CDS.

Forget about competition, you can't do anything about it beyond your own personal performance and you're either in or you're out regardless of how many other people are chasing places. Once at RMAS, your future largely depends on you and whether your desired unit's happy that it's filled its available slots without you or whether you're too good to pass up. Fitness-wise, as a general rule get as fit as you can and stay that way.

One piece of advice though, you haven't earned the right to criticise the NZ security forces and people (particularly assessors) will take a dim view if you go chopsing off about organisations you haven't worked for and whose challenges you haven't faced personally - apart from anything else, it shows a lack of awareness. Make coming to the UK a positive - wider options and more of them - rather than running down your country and the people serving it.

Good luck.
Thanks yeah Ill definitely keep that in mind.

Join another capbadge then after you meet the residency requirement, if you still want to, look to transfer to Int.
do you think i am likely to get the initial waiver or be able to transfer from a different cap badge

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
@Sarastro nails it neatly and he has specific and relevant knowledge.

Getting through AOSB and then Sandhurst is up to you. There's lots of Commonwealth types serving, both as Her Majesty's trusted and well-beloved etc and as brutal and licentious soldiery, so there's clearly a mechanism for obtaining a waiver and that should perhaps be the focus of your research.

I'd suggest talking directly to the recruiting organisation in the UK to start the process off, being upfront from the start about the residency issue. Clearance is going to be the key issue, whether you join as an officer or - and option you may not have considered but perhaps should - in the ranks.

All that said, I wouldn't be quite so quick to dismiss either NZDF or the local security service - NZSIS are pretty good at what they do and are very tightly integrated into the key international framework. The Christchurch thing was appalling, but some leakers are, sadly, inevitable and this was one of them; generally NZSIS and your Aussie partners do a very good job indeed at keeping the nation safe.

DV and 10 years - as a New Zealand resident - could not be the show-stopper it initially appears to be. Ask, and don't be satisfied with the first "no".

rezMB ChB

Swinger
@Sarastro nails it neatly and he has specific and relevant knowledge.

Getting through AOSB and then Sandhurst is up to you. There's lots of Commonwealth types serving, both as Her Majesty's trusted and well-beloved etc and as brutal and licentious soldiery, so there's clearly a mechanism for obtaining a waiver and that should perhaps be the focus of your research.

I'd suggest talking directly to the recruiting organisation in the UK to start the process off, being upfront from the start about the residency issue. Clearance is going to be the key issue, whether you join as an officer or - and option you may not have considered but perhaps should - in the ranks.

All that said, I wouldn't be quite so quick to dismiss either NZDF or the local security service - NZSIS are pretty good at what they do and are very tightly integrated into the key international framework. The Christchurch thing was appalling, but some leakers are, sadly, inevitable and this was one of them; generally NZSIS and your Aussie partners do a very good job indeed at keeping the nation safe.
ah thanks for that, yeah the nzsis very rarely recruit entry level positions and seem to do so sporadically from what I heard. Going to a job fair that they will be at next Tuesday though so I ill try and ask.

Anyone know if you can get direct sponsorship from the corps? i.e. guaranteed to go there once you finished sandhurst? I saw on a docco a while back that one of the cadets had a spot on the houshold cavalry before it even started.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
ah thanks for that, yeah the nzsis very rarely recruit entry level positions and seem to do so sporadically from what I heard. Going to a job fair that they will be at next Tuesday though so I ill try and ask.

Anyone know if you can get direct sponsorship from the corps? i.e. guaranteed to go there once you finished sandhurst? I saw on a docco a while back that one of the cadets had a spot on the houshold cavalry before it even started.
I'd have to defer to @Sarastro here, but I'd have thought it highly unlikely. For whatever reason, the Corps is a very popular selection and is in the fortunate position of being able to be very, very picky about its subalterns. They mainly leave soon afterwards and get replaced by unsuitable transferees, one gathers, but, you know, hey ho, at least they've been Lieutenants and Captains in the renowned Intelligence Corps.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
There's no direct sponsorship for the Int Corps, or indeed any of the Corps that I know of (the REME have some sort of early selection system I think, but it's based on them requiring specific educational qualifications).

"Confirmed cadets" aren't that common, and mostly only happen in the Cavalry and Guards because the individual has family or other historic connections to the regiment.

Latest Threads