Joining the infantry

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by techitch, Jan 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Joining up soon. What have other people gone 4. Ive always had a soft spot 4 the green jackets with there history etc. The geezer at the recruitment place is blagging me(i know there good at that, but sounds quite good) to go 4 the colestream guards. Im from the london area, what do u think?
  2. Go RGJ mate, Guards are crap (sorry just my opinion) RGJ are good soldiers.
  3. If you want to go for The RGJ then do so,don't be persueded otherwise by some Blurt in the Career's Office.It's your choice,not his...
  4. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

There are several threads about joining The Rifles (as they will become)
    and they will offer a lot of options.

Have a look around and use the search function and you will learn a lot.

Good Luck!
  5. The Guards are fine units. It's up to you if you want to spend some of your army career stagging on Windsor castle, Buck Palace and such. They obviously don't spend all their time doing this and get on ops just as much as the rest of the infantry.
  6. when do you join?
  7. Go RGJ (soon to be the Rifles). You will be in one of the largest inf regiments in the army, with a newly formed commando role alongside the marines for 1 Rifles, plus the more usual mech and other roles.

As others have said, the guards have some excellent soldiers, but unless you really, really want to polish stuff and be frickin superb at shouting and banging your feet, forget them.
  8. Keep your options open mate, if you do join the Infantry then your local regiment is the right choice. But if it turns out not to suit you, or later in your career you fasncy a change, do not be blinkered, consider a transfer to another Arm or Service.

I served 9 years with my local regiment and then transfered to a Corps, it didn't effect my career or promotion prospects, and it was a better option to 1 UK Civ Div.

Good luck.
  10. I agree with plw1970 see about your local regiment first because your serve with alot of people who come from the same area you do. Your make friends for life that way and the team spirit is in grained.

If your local regiment is cack (i.e the duke of mosside's own chav regiment) join where there VC's are PWRR
  11. If you want to be a soldier - DON'T go Guards.