Joining the Infantry

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by wiltsstokie, Jan 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am planning on joining the infantry in the next 6 months as a soldier. I am 21 years old and a cilvilian police officer, I want to join for the excitement, to see the world and to see action (no doubt the regulars will laugh at this, I don't blame them).
    Which regiments should I aim for? Should I think about the Marines, or what about the RAF regiment?
    Thanks a lot.
  2. You need to research that yourself - each of those you mention will deploy again and again. YOU need to find out what appeals and what you want to do. This is, after all, the internet and our opinions are all biased.
  3. Do you realise that going from being a Police Officer to joining the Army is going to be a significant pay drop? If you are looking for excitement why don't you join the TA and once you've done your training opt for an Operational Tour that way you don't loose out on the money but still get the chance to do the things you wanted to.

I guess judging by your user name you're from Wiltshire - if so try looking here apart from all the different TA Units in the South West there are other 'National TA' Units including Royal Military Police
  4. Significant pay drop, starting salary for old bill is what 25k a year and starting salary for a soldier is 13k ...are you mad?: )
  5. This is by far the most intelligent option, I wholeheartedly agree with this post. What constabularly are you with, we can no doubt point you in the right direction for Bns/TA Units in your area
  6. Thanks very much for your replies, I agree with the TA idea being a verygood one however due to my shift pattern I cannot guarentee any weekends and from what I see this may well mean I cannot complete training. I'm with Hampshire. Any advice is much appreciated.
  7. If you can get time off then why not go on a look-at-life visit to an infantry regiment? You'll get to see for yourself if its your cup of tea. I'm not sure if the RAF regiment or Royal Marines offer these types of things though, but I'm pretty sure the army still do, pop into your local afco and ask them, they won't mind.
  8. There's an RMP unit based in Southampton? Nip in and have a chat, they should be fairly flexible with training etc, i know for a fact that it's mainly made up of civvie coppers.