Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Joining the IG/HCAV

jack.s

Swinger
I'm in my final year of law at uni in Ireland at the moment, hoping to go into the Irish Guards or the Household Cavalry after (I must confess I like drinking more than I like horses).
Is there still a system whereby candidates that interest the regiments or corps can get sponsorship through Sandhurst from the particular regiment, or is it all a gamble as to where you end up?
I'm considering delaying Sandhurst a year and doing a masters, just wondering is there any point on having a postgraduate degree coming into the army or would I be mad to take on extra student loans?
Also if anyone in the know could tell me what the morale of those units is like right now that'd be much appreciated, as of yet they haven't ended up on FYB so that's a good sign.

For various reasons, I've spent quite a lot of time with the IG recently. They're a top bunch of lads and all round good eggs.

Without answering your specifics, I'd note the following:

All the YOs I spoke to had been "confirmed Cadets" - i.e. the IG had said they were taking them even before going to RMAS. This came from their visits to the Regiment and conducting YO days and such like. A couple had extensive links with the IG (brothers, cousins, fathers in the Regiment), not so much the others.

They were at pains to point out the IG were different to the Grens, Coldstreamers, Jocks and Taffs. If you're in doubt, I'd suggest that you visit them all to find out about each.

Morale seemed high, although they are on PD at the moment, and all the faff associated with that.

The vital first step is to get in contact with the Regimental Recruiting Team; nothing else on here will help beyond that ground truth.

For direct contact on any recruiting or rejoining matters call the Irish Guards Recruiting Support Team:

Telephone: 02088186750

Mobile: 07748 296167

Good luck.

For various reasons, I've spent quite a lot of time with the IG recently. They're a top bunch of lads and all round good eggs.

Without answering your specifics, I'd note the following:

All the YOs I spoke to had been "confirmed Cadets" - i.e. the IG had said they were taking them even before going to RMAS. This came from their visits to the Regiment and conducting YO days and such like. A couple had extensive links with the IG (brothers, cousins, fathers in the Regiment), not so much the others.

They were at pains to point out the IG were different to the Grens, Coldstreamers, Jocks and Taffs. If you're in doubt, I'd suggest that you visit them all to find out about each.

Morale seemed high, although they are on PD at the moment, and all the faff associated with that.

The vital first step is to get in contact with the Regimental Recruiting Team; nothing else on here will help beyond that ground truth.

Good luck.

Cheers for the info, glad (at least some) of the YO's don't have contacts within the regiment. Although I do play polo (badly) I don't have any castles or a lordship in the family ;)

PDs sound like a dose, but at least you get to hang out in London I suppose!

Anyone have any info on what Hcav is like these days?

bani-walid_1994760c.jpg

That is closer to the truth than you imagine, in the 50s my old man was the RHG Sqn Ldr in Cyprus where they often left the FSC in barracks and patrolled on donkeys. This meant that the local dogs did not give the EOKA terrorists any warnings.
Shame that if you tried that tactic nowadays the enemy would just encircle you and sodomise your donkey!

Army knowledge fail right there...

Search "Ajax" on these forums. If you want to join the HCR, might be useful to know what they drive around in. Top tip: call it a medium tank in your interview. Guaranteed to impress.

Last edited:
Army knowledge fail right there...

Search "Ajax" on these forums. If you want to join the HCR, might be useful to know what they drive around in. Top tip: call it a medium tank in your interview. Guaranteed to impress.
It's a joke mate, I'm well aware of what AJAX is!