Joining the Guards

Cfc1603

Swinger
Hi, I am interested in joining the guards and just looking for some info.

1. Do you ceremonial or combat after training?

2. What is day to day like on ceremonial side?

3. What is the leave like when do ceremonial do you get weekend leave or is it 7 days aweek whilst there?

estwist

Clanker
Hi, I am interested in joining the guards and just looking for some info.

1. Do you ceremonial or combat after training?

2. What is day to day like on ceremonial side?

3. What is the leave like when do ceremonial do you get weekend leave or is it 7 days aweek whilst there?
I absolutely hated it there mate, was med discharged and was the best thing as I'm now in the process of rejoining in a job where'll Ill hopefully actually get something from the army.

You spend absolute hours of your life bulling boots, standing still and wearing a big heavy shit hat. The ceremonial side cycles after training, and is a dual role so yes you do go on exercise ( kenya and falklands ) being the guards favourite place to go.

There is little chance of qualifications etc but if you enjoy spending hours on kit and standing still and having 100's of people taking pictures of you freezing your nuts off in the winter then go for it! But don't just listen to me, if its for you great. But i don't think they retain people due to it being a boring boring job. Stagging on is not fun. There is a great sense of pride, and you are viewed by the public in a good light, training is in Catterick so yeah its tough but the drill and kit are just a bore.

Be sure of what your getting yourself in to, who wants to troop the ******* colour? Especially me, I'm Irish so never really cared for the royal family tbf. Look after yourself and take your time deciding.

ACAB

LE
I absolutely hated it there mate, was med discharged and was the best thing as I'm now in the process of rejoining in a job where'll Ill hopefully actually get something from the army.

You spend absolute hours of your life bulling boots, standing still and wearing a big heavy shit hat. The ceremonial side cycles after training, and is a dual role so yes you do go on exercise ( kenya and falklands ) being the guards favourite place to go.

There is little chance of qualifications etc but if you enjoy spending hours on kit and standing still and having 100's of people taking pictures of you freezing your nuts off in the winter then go for it! But don't just listen to me, if its for you great. But i don't think they retain people due to it being a boring boring job. Stagging on is not fun. There is a great sense of pride, and you are viewed by the public in a good light, training is in Catterick so yeah its tough but the drill and kit are just a bore.

Be sure of what your getting yourself in to, who wants to troop the ******* colour? Especially me, I'm Irish so never really cared for the royal family tbf. Look after yourself and take your time deciding.
Knob!!!!

estwist

Clanker
Can't be a knob for an honest opinion, I did leave some good points.
Entitled to your opinion of course pal, as blunt or idiotic as it is.

I just know the recruiters sell the guards as its numbers are dwindling and they get their treats for convincing potential bods to do something they really have no idea about.

When I went to the recruiting Office back in 1973 I knew the Regiment I wanted to join. I'm 6 ft 4 inches tall and the recruiter took one look at me and said "your a good tall lad, how about the Scots Guards" I told him no thanks and which regiment I wanted to join.

He told me the regiment I wanted wasn't recruiting at that time but the Scots Guards were, I told him to call me when the regiment I wanted was recruiting and went home. Next day I got a phone call telling me that a couple of vacancies in the regiment of my choice had just opened up:rolleyes:

estwist

Clanker
When I went to the recruiting Office back in 1973 I knew the Regiment I wanted to join. I'm 6 ft 4 inches tall and the recruiter took one look at me and said "your a good tall lad, how about the Scots Guards" I told him no thanks and which regiment I wanted to join.

He told me the regiment I wanted wasn't recruiting at that time but the Scots Guards were, I told him to call me when the regiment I wanted was recruiting and went home. Next day I got a phone call telling me that a couple of vacancies in the regiment of my choice had just opened up:rolleyes:
Yep same thing happend to me in 2016 believe it or not. Wanted to join as a Driver Comms Spec but was told Irish Guards were all that was available. Tried to fight it but wasn't in the mind frame to stand for myself as I thought it would affect my future in the Army. Suprisingly, the recruiter was a Sgt in the IG!!

TAZ2

Swinger
Off to Catterick to start my Guards training (scots) in 23 days time!

Exited is an understatement!!

Taz

Cfc1603

Swinger
Off to Catterick to start my Guards training (scots) in 23 days time!

Exited is an understatement!!

Taz
Good luck pal!

How did you find assessment? What sort of score did you get on mid thigh pull? That is my biggest worry as I'm not the strongest

TAZ2

Swinger
Good luck pal!

How did you find assessment? What sort of score did you get on mid thigh pull? That is my biggest worry as I'm not the strongest

Cheers mate!!!

Assessment was great fun I was wary about most things but ended up getting a grade A throughout!!!

Run : 7 mins 45 secs
Mid thigh : 155kg
Med ball : 5.1 meters.

Not too bad eh!!! I surprised myself! A whole lot of adrenaline is involved so don't be nervous!!

Glad I've chosen winter for basic training..... What's a cnut I am for doing that......

**edit** - if you've got any questions a out ADSC, drop me a message!! No dramss

Regards.

Taz

Cheers mate!!!

Assessment was great fun I was wary about most things but ended up getting a grade A throughout!!!

Not too bad eh!!! I surprised myself! A whole lot of adrenaline is involved so don't be nervous!!

Glad I've chosen winter for basic training..... What's a cnut I am for doing that......

**edit** - if you've got any questions a out ADSC, drop me a message!! No dramss

Regards.

Taz
That is a good time for the PFA, or is the run less than 1.5 miles. We'll done on a good pass.

ACAB

LE
Cheers mate!!!

Regards.

Taz
As a former member of 2nd Battalion Scots Guards (and a Guards Depot Drill Instructor to boot!!) Best of luck!!!!

ACAB

LE
oh come on, be fair, you were never proper guards. :-D
You utter prat!!! I was typing my 'Up Guards an' at 'em' as you posted!!

As a former member of 2nd Battalion Scots Guards (and a Guards Depot Drill Instructor to boot!!) Best of luck!!!!
Knows Slick Rick*, so can't be all bad...

My SI at Brecon; I'm all his fault.

TAZ2

Swinger

I'd really appreciate any pointers if you had any!! Cannot wait to get there!!!

I'd really appreciate any pointers if you had any!! Cannot wait to get there!!!
Get fit;
Pay attention and take as many notes as you need
If in doubt, ASK
Haribo Tangfastics, bottom left hand smock pocket.

Last edited:
Cheers!! Nowadays it's a 2k assessed run but 800m warm up, immediately start your 2k from that though
1.2 miles. I'm impressed. You don't do much running, unfortunately with the Guards

Latest Threads