Joining the Guards

Hi, posted this in a thread a while ago but there doesn't seem to be much activity there - so hope this is a better place for my question.

I am in the process of joining the Army as an officer and currently trying to narrow down my choice of regiment. I don't suppose anyone could enlighten me as to what the major differences are between the Grenadier and Coldstream Guards, besides the grouping of buttons on tunics and recruitment areas?

Cheers.

I have no idea, being ex Royal Engineers and averse to the kind of things that rule a guards officers day. However (looks at watch) it's 02:30 in UK right now, so I imagine that there will be a lot of rustling of the daily papers as people respond to your question later in the morning.

Anyway, good luck!

A Coldstream or Grenadier Guards officer would tell you that each regiment is totally different from the other. In reality, while there will be some minor differences in mess culture and traditions, they will be about as similar as any two regiments can be overall.

It is very likely that if you are a good fit for one regiment, you will fit into the other.

Frankly the major differences will be where they are based. I think that both are light role at the moment, but I can't remember where each is based.

All of this is caveated that I am not a foot guards officer.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Crossface

Old-Salt
I definitely can't answer this myself. But if you've got a free day and can get to London relatively easily, I'd recommend the Guards Museum. They've got all the usual but also volunteers their that are former members of the Guards who I'm sure would be more than happy to spend some time answering questions!

Thanks for the replies. Seems they are just as similar as I first thought. I'll definitely check out the museum next time I'm in London and ask some questions there.

Note that they recruit (to an extent at least) from different areas, which may have some impact on your preference - although Household Div officers of course largely originate from Sussex.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
One would assume that if you are joining the guards you were put down for a particular regiment at birth.
Check with your father.

X59

LE
One would assume that if you are joining the guards you were put down for a particular regiment at birth.
Check with your father.
Must be similar to being dropped on your head at birth.

My experience is that the GREN GDS and COLDSM GDS have subtly different styles and you will know if you fit in only by visiting. Contact the RHQs in Wellington Barracks directly and see if you can visit the Regimental Adjutants - they also mostly have a Captain who deals with officer recruiting.

Thanks for the responses. I was under the impression that the Grenadiers are based in Central London - or is that just the ceremonial company that is located there?

Also, my father said I wasn't put down for either regiment at birth, but I was dropped on my head as a youngling :)

Thanks for the responses. I was under the impression that the Grenadiers are based in Central London - or is that just the ceremonial company that is located there?

Also, my father said I wasn't put down for either regiment at birth, but I was dropped on my head as a youngling :)
As said earlier, the Grens are based in Aldershot with the incremental company based at Wellie B as for the Collies, they are based in Windsor again with the incremental company based in Wellie B

Sorry missed that bit. So - in short - the Grens recruit from the south and Coldstream from north, but both based down south?

Isn't one for catholic officers and the other for Protestants?

abcdefg123

Swinger
hello, i was wondering if you could answer my question as i cant find anything about it and i imagine the people on this thread have a good knowledge on this subject. (Coldstream Guards) If you are in the 1st Battalion: The elite light role infantry unit of 600 men, do you still do ceremonial roles, or is it just the Number 7 Company: The ceremonial company of 100 men, based in Wellington Barracks, London? thanks

BiscuitsAB

LE
hello, i was wondering if you could answer my question as i cant find anything about it and i imagine the people on this thread have a good knowledge on this subject. (Coldstream Guards) If you are in the 1st Battalion: The elite light role infantry unit of 600 men, do you still do ceremonial roles, or is it just the Number 7 Company: The ceremonial company of 100 men, based in Wellington Barracks, London? thanks
Which newspaper do you write for?

abcdefg123

Swinger
haha no im 14 and for a while now i have wanted to join the coldstream guards when i am older as i just love the idea of the ceremonial duties and combat roles. And i have never found the answer to that question.

Latest Threads