Joining the British Legion

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by WasMe, Oct 22, 2006.

1. I will join the RBL but not a club.

2. I will join the RBL and a RBL Club

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Now that I am out, after 22+ years in, I have applied to join the local British Legion.

I am surprised at the time and effort that it actually takes to become a member. I believe that I have passed to committees selection process and will soon venture on into my 3 months as a probationer (after 3 months they may ask me to leave!). I did go to the club once, and was told that my processing stage wasn't complete (in other words) and that I should wait out - have not even had a beer there yet!. Therefore I am sat at home wondering when I will get the OK to attend.

The question I would like to pose is:

"If the British legion are seeking new members (ex-servicemen and civilians), and with the decline in numbers of Servicemen willing to attend (or able to attend) , why are there so many hurdles to jump before being accepted as a member?"

This is not a knock at the British Legion by the way.

Gawd, I hope that this will not affect my probationary period at the club!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x
  2. Any one who has served their country for 22 years should automatically become a member of the Royal British Legion and should be welcomed with open arms.
    I must presume it is the local branch that is causing the problems
  3. Don't get me wrong. it is not a problem.

After being in newcastle for a while (where the majority of the local branch seems to be civilians) I understand that there are rules. I am not there now, by the way!!!

It just seems odd that there are so many hoops to jump through.
  4. sheldrake

sheldrake RIP

It's excellent that you're joining. The Legion needs all the members and support it can get.

I think what you're talking about though, is not RBL membership but RBL club membership which are two entirely seperate issues.

RBL membership is a case of filling in the form, having it verified, paying your membership fee and you're in.

I don't belong to a club, indeed they're getting fewer and fewer, but I do sit on the County Committee and I believe that most run some form of probationary system. So long as you don't drop the bingo caller in the middle of the meat draw or step on the toes of the Membership Secretary's wife, you shouldn't have any dramas.

Once you are in, get actively involved in recruitment and try and get some others in. There are literally thousands of guys who have service under their belt but never go anywhere near the Legion. Some don't want to, which is fair enough, but most just never get approached. Don't forget, that the primary role of the Legion is to support, "Service not Self". The more people that join, the more the support workload can be spread and more deserving cases are going to be heard of and helped.

If you want to drink cheap beer and swap war stories, that's fine, that's what the clubs are for - but I do hope you think of putting something back in. I think you will find it rewarding.
  5. I can do that!
  6. Sorry Sandy! Link seems broke.

Saying that, the RBL have cashed my cheque so I sould be OK!
  7. sheldrake

sheldrake RIP

8. I will do so when I get to attend!
  9. I`ve got a few questions about the legion?

1.Is it true if your serving (ie mod 90 holder) your are entitled to entry to a club or is this a load of crap ?

2. Aren`t these clubs a bit clicky ?

No offence meant
  10. I dunno mate, i haven't been allow to get a pint yet!
  11. when I've been places and gone to the clubs (admittedly only 2 or 3) I've never even been asked for my mod 90, I've just rocked up and ordered my pint.
  12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I last went into a legion for a pint in 82 with a mod 90 and was signed in by the guy at the door. I last went in last xmas to pick up a wreath to lay at Grandad Ugly's grave in germany. Nothing had changed, few people inn and no problems. I was a memeber of the local ex servicemans and showing my red book meant no probation. Apparently proper ex servicemen never joined, just their cheap beer swilling, meat raffle playing offspring!
  13. Is there any limits on entry? I always thought the legion was for old gits and age entry was 80 years!!
  14. sheldrake

sheldrake RIP

1. Load of crap. To all intents and purposes it is a private members' club. However, I've yet to hear of one that didn't take pity on a serving soldier with a thirst like Beau Geste!

2. Probably, but that's the point of a club, isn't it. To be with like minded people. If you want scope and differing, challenging opinions go and drink in a pub and engage the chap with dreadlocks on the merits of corporal punishment and foxhunting.