Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joining the British army from Malaysia?

May I know how she obtained permission from the Malaysian government to join the British army? Thank you very much.
She didn't. She came to UK to train as a nurse and having completed her training applied to join the QAs. Nobody asked any difficult questions. Much, much later, when she was in Bosnia, the Malaysian Inf Bn were surprised to find her in charge of the nurses treating their casualties. The HQ then appointed her as liaison officer to the Bn in addition her day job

Edited to add: Mrs Feu is ethnically Indian. Your circumstances are very different and no doubt rules have changed in the meantime. None the less, if you want to do it, I'm sure there are ways

Last edited:

Svennov

Swinger
She didn't. She came to UK to train as a nurse and having completed her training applied to join the QAs. Nobody asked any difficult questions. Much, much later, when she was in Bosnia, the Malaysian Inf Bn were surprised to find her in charge of the nurses treating their casualties. The HQ then appointed her as liaison officer to the Bn in addition her day job

Edited to add: Mrs Feu is ethnically Indian. Your circumstances are very different and no doubt rules have changed in the meantime. None the less, if you want to do it, I'm sure there are ways

Thank you for sharing. Its very interesting to know that. This bit of information will help me have a clearer picture nontheless.

Thank you for sharing. Its very interesting to know that. This bit of information will help me have a clearer picture nontheless.

How did it go?

I have a friend who moved to the UK to do a degree, stayed to do PhD. and as he had reached the 5 year point applied for citizenship. He is still in the UK, now as a British citizen putting what he learnt during his PhD to good use with some of those people we never mention.

If you do not have a degree you could follow a similar route as him into the military. And, with regards your ethnicity: Language skills, especially native language skills, are always very welcome in certain jobs.

Bullying is not a problem. It is no different to any other social dynamic where the idiot gets sidelined. Generally everyone is mocked, abused and made fun of equally just like most other social and work groups. Over the years in the army I worked with a few Chinese guys, several west indian coloured guys (many of whom were Warrant Officers), a couple of Sikh's (one officer), Pakistanis (warrant officer), Fijians (warrant officer and officer) and even South Africans, Australians and a Canadian.

Keep at it.

Latest Threads