Joining the Army

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by D.P.M, Dec 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys,

Im gonna get straight to the point, my dad Sedanman32 has already done a post on me called joining the paras, but I want to extend on that here. Im 14, Studying PE, Drama Music and Italian at school and hating every minute of it! I am HELLBENT on Joining 2 PARA as it would be the greatest moment of my life to receive wings and a Maroon beret, Im fairly fit physically, but not as fit as I'd like to be, Im in the ACF and i am fit enough to pass entry requirment levels for basic training, Ive started running and doing circuit training, but is there anything else i can do?

Also, i have done Feck loads of research on P-company, but still arent entirley sure about it, is it 2 weeks on training and 1 test week or just 1 test week? Also, ive already spoken to IRON about this, but what do I have a better chance with, going from basic to P Coy or joining an infantry regiment for a few years until im about 20 and then going for it?

I would have thought if I joined a regiment 1st and made really good mates, it would be hard to leave them behind?

Also, i wouldnt want to get fit outside of the army and join at 20, I want to join at the youngest possible age your allowed to legally

I also have another problem, I get so much sh1t about the army from school, teachers use it as a chance to get at me for not working well enough and other kids use it as a point to take the p1ss outta me, but, i always tell them , teachers and the other kids where to stick it, but recently, it has started to REALLY discourage me from joining, some of the stuff they say just makes me think about getting a Civvie job which I know I would hate, but, if i just ignore them, do sh1te at school then join up as a grunt and dont ever take a commission, would the grades effect my joining probabilities?

Please give me advice!

Jon

2. First off, I am not airborne, so I wouldn't like to give advice on that for you, at the risk of giving you duff info. However, your situation at school sounds pretty much identical to how mine was!
    I used to get teachers telling me I was a dreamer to think I would make it in the Army, as well as the other kids extracting the urine for my choice. I was a cadet beforehand too, and all I could think of was getting away from London and joining up.
    I didn't do amazingly at school, I was under the (stupid) train of thought that my job choice didn't require qualifications so what was the point? Just remember that although you could think there wil be opportunites to retake them in the future, they will be a lot harder than they are now- trust me!
    I can tell you that after the abuse I recieved from teachers and pupils alike before I joined at 16 to AFC Harrogate, it is unbelievably satisfying to go home on leave 9 years on and see those same people stuck in a monotonous rut in the same jobs, in the same towns, doing the same things as they were when I first left- invariably with less money than me. ;)
    You can begin the process at the recruiting office aged 15 and 9 months, and I know 16 year olds in my intake at phase 1 went on to join the Paras, so I see no reason why you couldn't.
    You are obviously very keen to join the job, and I wish there were many more men as motivated as you to do the same. Don't lose interest, and don't let anyone grind you down- after all, they are only civvies, eh? ;) Good luck in whatever choice you make, mate.

3. on the job breif for the paras it says.... QUALIFACATIONS REQUIRED:NIL
    always tell that to your teachers trust me it pisses them off :twisted: but there is a very easy math and english test you need to do.

4. I would say to try your best at school and everything else you need to do. This should do you no harm in becoming a para. If you want to be an "elite" soldier, trying your best in everything you do should be agood start.

Keep up the fitness but do give your best in absolutely everything that you do. It may be good practice.

Good luck.

5. "I also have another problem, I get so much sh1t about the army from school, teachers use it as a chance to get at me for not working well enough and other kids use it as a point to take the p1ss outta me, but, i always tell them , teachers and the other kids where to stick it, but recently, it has started to REALLY discourage me from joining, some of the stuff they say just makes me think about getting a Civvie job which I know I would hate, but, if i just ignore them, do sh1te at school then join up as a grunt and dont ever take a commission, would the grades effect my joining probabilities?"

D.P.M.
    Keep the faith , turn around what you said above, use it to develop a thick skin, getting the pi$$ taken by kids & sh1t from teachers, wait till you join then you'll laugh, flabby lefty teachers,leading dull boring lives, the other kids, on the dole, in their corsas going nowhere in life.
    Work hard , play harder and be your own man.
    Good luck

WW

6. DPM believe me they have no idea when it comes to extracting the warm yellow stuff.

Wait until you join up, you will get some proper ribbing then!

Listen. You have your dream, go for it. Nothing worth having is gained easily. Do not overtrain (you are 14 years old and still growing), but maintain as high a level of fitness as is feasible with the stresses and strains of growing - might be an idea to see a doctor or a physio? Speak to your parents to get you in and get some guidance from the medics. You do not want to do long term harm to your fitness for short term gain.

Once you are in the clear then start thinking about long distances with weight, quickly. Thats what P Coy is all about (if what I have seen is to be believed) and the sooner you are used to it the better.

Anyhow, the very best of luck fella, and however it turns out I hope you enjoy it.

I would like to make it clear that I am NOT Airborne ( I am barely Chairborne!) nor have I ever been so don't take this as gospel!

7. Cheers Guy! All your posts made me smile, B_F_P, i love it when i tell em i dont need GCSE's! They shout abuse because they have nothing to say back and i shout back, i know ill get a load of shit in the army, but i can take that, after all the people shouting abuse at me have had the same treatment! Whereas teachers were all probably suck ups sad-saps in school who have no lives!

Cheers again Guys!

Jon

8. I am/was in the same position as you im 15,16 in January everyone at school used to take the piss out of me for wanting to join aswell,i got kicked out of school for the GCSE comment and fighting with Polish lads but i then got to go to college and do a construction course and i have started a bricklaying and site joinery aprentaship i plan on finishing that then joining the Paras so at 17.

9. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Some good advice. It's really worth trying while at school, if nothing else, to get a decent grasp of maths and English. The rest is generally a load of crap. Later in life you will realise what interests you and learn all about it. I can't stress enough though that you really need to know how to count and write to a reasonable level so put the effort in in those subjects. If you've got what it takes the Army will give you plenty of opportunities to succeed at whatever takes your fancy.

Winston Churchill was not the best academic in the world but did learn English to a point that he went on to win the Nobel Prize for literature.

10. DPM, from what I can see, you are approaching the whole Para/Army thing with a good attitude.

Don't let the others get you down, ditto to the other posts on this thread, in the long term, no matter what Regiment you join, you will have a far more exciting/well paid/varied career than most people on civvy street (no disrespect to any civvy jobs though!) so don't let the others at school get you down.

Keep the attitude, try hard at school (if you for some silly reason you can't join the Army, then at least you will have some academic qualifications to fall back on.) Just go for it. :)

(ps...am not in the Para's either.) :)

11. DPM as said in the pm work hard over the next two years at school as you wont be able to join till at least Aug/Sept 09 at the earliest or start your application until this time next year. School is very important to you so do your best as you will still have to get a school reference from them when you leave and this is scrutinised by the Recruiter and PSO at ADSC on interviews. You dont need MAQ's for infantry or PARA as said but do as well as you can and keep your options open as you can join in other jobs and do all Arms P company at a later date if you want.

Just keep in with the cadets and work on your fitness over the next few years.

12. Why don't you join the Engineers and then go airborne through them? Just a thought mate!!

13. Jon,

I'm doing a degree at the minute and hoping to enlist in 'Er 'Majesty's Forces soon after - a 'flabby leftie' :wink: , so I can hardly say I was in the same situation at your age, but let me tell you, some of my friends were. We lived in a village that eats its own children - dead end. One lad, particularly, would have suited the Army to a T. after a little adaptation, but there he is every time I go home, just as Young Lofty puts it.

Best of luck.

14. Thats what the recruiting sgt said but id rather have a trade befor i go in to fall back on if anything dont go to plan.

15. hi guys just wondering on the references maby im being a bit funny about it but northern ireland i assume is a little different than the rest of the uk but what if i dont want my local teachers, priests r what ever to know i am joining the army for security reasons or is the security situation in northern ireland changed now