Joining the army

I'm 29, 30 in August, I have no savings, no qualifications, no relationship commitments, I've worked the same unskilled minimum wage job for the last 7 years. Basically my life is 'abit' of a mess.

While I'm making it seem I want to enlist because I have no other options, which is partly true, I also feel the army would be good for me and I feel I would be good for the army. Its something I've always been interesting in doing but never ended up taking the leap. I'm reasonably fit, I've started training regularly so I am getting stronger and fitter with each passing day.

In your opinion, am I too old to join the army now? Admittedly, I'm not overly keen being lumped in with a bunch of 18 year olds but for someone with no qualifications is that my only choice? If so, I'd happily grin and bear it.

You are not too old and some roles will suit your experience and maturity well. Don’t worry about your reasons for joining, just do your best.

What role are you looking at?

How fast can you run 1.5 miles?

Thanks Dinger, I appreciate that message more than you know. I've decided to go for it, I've just began the application process and I'm actually feeling optimistic about the whole thing :D. Daxx, I can't say exactly but I'll time it tomorrow. What's the requirement?

Do you have any GCSEs?

29 is fine, I saw older, married with kids apply, get through basic, trade training and go on to a solid career with promotion. If you want it you'll pass it, just get yourself up to a reasonable level of fitness, work on running, not 100 metre sprinter level, more distance with a reasonable speed and also upper body strength - the more you do before the easier it is when being gently cajoled at in basic.

Think about what you would like to try as there are a world of opportunities and some give faster promotion, along with better pay, than others.

I'm 29, 30 in August, I have no savings, no qualifications, no relationship commitments, I've worked the same unskilled minimum wage job for the last 7 years. Basically my life is 'abit' of a mess.

While I'm making it seem I want to enlist because I have no other options, which is partly true, I also feel the army would be good for me and I feel I would be good for the army. Its something I've always been interesting in doing but never ended up taking the leap. I'm reasonably fit, I've started training regularly so I am getting stronger and fitter with each passing day.

In your opinion, am I too old to join the army now? Admittedly, I'm not overly keen being lumped in with a bunch of 18 year olds but for someone with no qualifications is that my only choice? If so, I'd happily grin and bear it.
No, you're not too old.

Get your application in.

The fitness tests are changing at the end of the month and you only need to run 1.2 miles in under 11m15s - this is definitely achieveble - Im 47 and two stone overweight and can achieve this - dont be put off by the run.

I got a GNVQ (merit) in I.T, C in English, History and P. E. D in Maths and Science. The only problem is the certificate is long lost and during the enrollment process it mentions that I'll need it to prove my grades. 1.2miles in 11mins? I should smash that no problem, depending on the terrain.

What roles are you looking at?

SAS :D... Nah, doesn't matter much what I'm looking at. I was offered one role 'regular soldier'. It'd be nice if I could get to see some of the world.

I got a GNVQ (merit) in I.T, C in English, History and P. E. D in Maths and Science. The only problem is the certificate is long lost and during the enrollment process it mentions that I'll need it to prove my grades. 1.2miles in 11mins? I should smash that no problem, depending on the terrain.
Yes, you will need to prove your GCSE results if you are going for a roll that requires them - this may well mean paying for them.

If you dont have the certificates you wont get a job if it requires them - its fairly black and white.

Make phys part of your everyday life, it will stand you in good stead.

Do you have any idea of what you’d like to do? Infantry, Armour, Engineering, Medical, Logistics?

Make phys part of your everyday life, it will stand you in good stead.

Do you have any idea of what you’d like to do? Infantry, Armour, Engineering, Medical, Logistics?
I've been doing alot of strength training, deadlifts, squats etc. I'll concentrate more on cardio in the coming weeks/months.

I have absolutely no idea. To be honest, I don't know much about the different roles in the army and what they involve. I'll be sure to look into it. Infantry seems the most appealing, although, something like engineering would give me more advantages once I leave the army. I know its my choice to make alone but what would you suggest? What do/did you do?

Don’t think about trades for leaving the Army, you will learn plenty of other skills that civilian employers will want. Alternatively you can make a full career of it and not bother with a civilian job.

Go on the Army website and look at a few roles, some attract more pay than others.

Let us know your thoughts and someone from, or with knowledge of that role will be able to help. You can transfer to a different role later if you wish and the Army will educate you up to degree level, if you are willing to put in the effort.

You’ve made a good choice, all you have to do now is enjoy it - even when it’s s bit shît sometimes.

Think Nike, Just Do It!

The Army is full of opportunities and different job roles - cooks, drivers, engineers, police, communications.......and many many more as well as infantry solders. Your current qualifications - or lack of - will limit what you can apply for however. I think much of the information you need is on the Army website and you'll get more info at an Army careers office. The good news for you is that they're desperate for applicants.

The best advice at this stage is working hard on your overall fitness and running ability/times. Again, the entrance fitness requirements are online and if you can smash all of that stuff when you go through the selection process you'll have an advantage over some of your fellow recruits.

Go for it. It will be well worth it.

Good luck and have a brilliant time!