Joining the Army with an unpaid fine.

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Mark Cresswell, Oct 8, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all, first post (besides introduction thread) of hopefully many.

OK, I left school 4 years ago and never had any thoughts on joining the Army, I just wanted to get a normal retail job and live a (at the moment) relatively boring life. Around a month after leaving school I got a £20 train fine for not having a ticket, I had money to buy a ticket but the ticketman was convinced I got on at a station with a ticket booth and thought I was trying to get a free ride by not buying one. I asked if I could buy one and he said "No, you should of thought of that when you were on the station" and went on to give me a train fine.

I didn't think anything of it and just tossed it aside and forgot about it, a few months later I get a letter saying I now owe £120 for the previously unpaid fine, I was obviously annoyed and phoned them up to pay £20 to keep them happy. I lost my job the week later making me unable to pay any more, the fine went up and up for 2 years, I never had enough money to pay it.

Now, about 2 and a half years ago a bailiff knocks on my door, on my 18 birthday and I talk to him about the fine and tell him I got the fine for something I didn't do, he was quite understanding and said "I will see what I can do to sort this out". That was it, I haven't heard anything from them for 2 and a half years. I want to join the Army early next year and want to know if this will stop me getting in, I've heard nothing from the debt recovery guys for ages and I assume the fine has been dropped.

tl;dr: I got a fine 3 years ago, heard nothing for 2 and a half years (I assume they've dropped the fines). Will this stop me joining the Army?

2. Get a life.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Is there a White van outside? It's them coming to get you...quick panic!
  4. Thanks for your politeness and welcoming attitude to a newcomer, I'm sure the rest of the members are as nice as you.
  5. Just kill yourself as you won't be allowed in if you ain't paid your way.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Are these seriously the best answers I can get?

Someone please tell me this place isn't full of assholes? Took a while to register on a phone, don't really want it to be wasted time.
  7. Go to your local police station, explain the situation and ask if there's a warrant out.

That should give you peace of mind. They're very understanding.
  8. After the previous comments I'm having a hard time determining whether that's sarcasm...
  9. OK, this place isn't full of assholes. However, it is full of arrseholes, it's what we do(unless you go to the USA forum which may very well be full of assholes).
    Please, look at the top of the page and use the Search function before coming up with this. I think people get pissed off with answering the same question over and over.
  10. Mark Cresswell. Just had a look and the police are definitely looking for you.

For being a mong and putting your name on here for starters.

(serious head on)

If you're serious about joining up. Man up and sort it out.
  11. Assholes? We ain't the ones that skip paying a ticket and then don't bother paying a fine when we get caught.

Have you kept any of the paperwork from the fine?
    Do you know the bailiff's details?
    Could you get in touch with the train company to find out?

No - you just come on here and cry when people don't say what you want them to say.

No, we are not going to say - "Don't worry about it - you'll be let in!" "It's so long ago it won't matter now!" Pay up you tight kunt!
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Ok, I'm bored so a properish answer.....

Fare evasion (not buying a ticket) is a criminal offence - I believe it's comes under fraud! So I would expect this to be something you will ghave to declare at the very least!

As this would have all been explained at the time by the relevant RPO, I would say that you are not telling the whole story!
  13. Have a read of other threads.

We're being playful because we like unemployed fare dodgers, gypsies and asylum seekers. (And walts).
  14. Don't get me wrong, I tried to pay the fine but I was between jobs, I got the fine for something I didn't do and ain't heard anything about it for nearly 3 years.

My situation is clearly different to those in other threads although still based on the same premise. There's no need for the amount hostility. I just want a discussion about realistic options I have...
  15. Exactly. You didn't pay the fare. And you didn't bother writing to appeal.