Joining the army - Previous taker of Escitalopram (Anti-Depressants)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Afternoon All,

I have a phone call with a nurse from my local army recruitment centre tomorrow, and I'm preparing to discuss my medical history which does include 20mg Escitalopram taken daily.

The last time I was prescribed them was roughly 4 months ago, but when I told the recruiter on the phone about this I could tell his mood rapidly changed.

I'm just wandering, before my phone call tomorrow, if anybody had any experience with this? Am I wasting my time? I'd hope that previous medical history wouldn't affect someone's application to join the army, and the current medical situation would be more important...but I do understand how precarious mental health can be.

For context, I'm looking to join as an infantry soldier but would consider a change should I not be able to.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
there is a thread for all medical stuff

it's visible from pluto

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
You dislike a thread specifically for medical matters?

Have fun kiddo.

Pack your trembling lower lip away - Brother @theoriginalphantom is quite correct: the Med Thread for recruitment has been around almost as long as Stonehenge:

20mg is a fairly strong dosage for that particular SSRI. Further, you need to have a read of this:

http://data.parliament.uk/Deposited...4/Joint_Service_Manual_of_Medical_Fitness.pdf particularly Page 4-L-3.

As I read it (and given your admitted regimen) you need a year clear of any prophylactic intervention.

. . . and finally: from your original post

I'd hope that previous medical history wouldn't affect someone's application to join the army, and the current medical situation would be more important

Read that sentence again. Twice.

You're looking to join the Army, not Home Bargains.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.