Joining the army - loosing your girlfriend?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Dan909, Mar 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, Im Dan, 19 from Chesterfield.

After failing normal jobs because I simply get bored, I've decided that I really want to join the army.

I've done research and its really took my fancy.

The problem is to join is to technically loose my GF of 1 year.

She doesnt want me to join and crys when I mention it, Ive told her that most weekends we will be able to meet and if Iraq does arise then it'll only be 6 months, Shes not having any of it.

Also some people have told me that once you change from civilian to military lifestyle its hard to be "normal" on weekends.

Anyone got any advice or had similar problems?

Thanks, Dan.

2. Dump her! You can't have a doris dictating your life at age 19. Wait till you're at least 25 to submit to 'the thumb'! ;)

3. Dan, shouldn't worry too much fella. You'll be too busy beating your end against enough dogs to worry about her.

Where you based, I'll pop over and comfort her.

What's normal?

4. "normal" in a sense that you cant relax or something, he was a militant type that let power run to his head.

Was thinking of dumping her but then I wondered if I just sent off the form did the medical etc, then told her then, if she wants to stay she can if not she can **** off.

yeah any of you want to nail her why im away feel free :)

5. Joining the army - loosing your girlfriend

Win - Win :numberone:

6. To be honest, in the grand scheme of things you have not been with this girl that long.
    You are still young.
    If you are really keen on joining up then my personal opinion would be to go for it and tell your girlfriend that she must respect your decision or lump it basically.
    The reason I say this, is that if you choose a girl over something you really want to do, you will end up resenting her for it, and regretting it for ever, constantly thinking of the 'what ifs'. There really isnt much argument in this, its basic human phsycology.
    I have a few friends that went through the same thing that you are.
    One fcuked his lass off at the high port when she started asking him to choose.
    One stuck with the bird and joined the army, they are still together three years later.
    The only reason they are still together is the fact that she supported his decision and supported him throughout, and continues to do so whilst he is in a rather sandy place.
    The last one chose the bird, not the army, 8 months later thet broke up anyway.
    Ultimately, if your girl is not fully supportive, it will be extremely difficult.
    If you dont join, will you always wonder about the what ifs?
    No one can make the choice for you matey, but i think in coming on here and asking, you already know what you want, you just need some form of re-assurance first.

7. I think you need to consider what you're getting yourself into. If you believe we're all brooding John Rambo types you're mistaken. What power? You'd be a Tom.

8. Exactly right.

I meant the guy was a total nob jockey, he walked around as if he was rambo, came up to me and said "well if you go in the army you'll never be able to re-adjust to civillian life again, in theory saying you will just march around everywhere I just presumed he was a pleb and left it at that.

9. hes probably just afraid that you will do something he never could :D

10. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

In the bigger scheme you will look back on this in 20 years and all you will have of her is 3 or 4 specific but vague memories and probably her name; you won't even have a detailed memory of her face so forget it.

She will just be another distant Doris.

12. Hi Dan join the army and forget about her .
    My Mrs gave me a good slapping last week b****
    I was also thinking of joining the A.A.C. with my old man but i think i wait till he retires before i decide to join up :numberone:

13. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Dan, there are millions of women you have never met yet ... indeed, you will never live long enough to meet them all.

The current on is undoubtedly nice, otherwsie you wouldn't be worrying about it. However ... she is, literally, one in a million and is easily replaced. Too soon to be tied down ... get out and go for it!

14. Dont fall into the trap of marrying the stupid b*tch so you can get MQ's either!

Its easy to have a normal relationship every weekend or when you are on leave, my bloke comes home every weekend and we have just bought a house together, all very 'normal'.

As for her bin her off she would only hold you back and you would end up resenting her!

Good luck!

15. 19 is too young to settle mate, join the Army, she might have nice tits n that but there are plenty of birds out there gagging for it.

At 19 you are still changing mentally & physically so at 20 she may not like you any way.

What you thinking of joining?