Joining the Army, help?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by richard-f, Oct 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey,
    Just signed up to the forum, I don't know if this is in the right place.

Anyway, I'm 17 and at college at the moment, however I'm looking to join the army either when I finish my course in a year, drop out, or finish the course go to uni and then join the army.

I was just wondering if anyone could suggest and jobs that I might be interested in, as I've tried to look on the army website without success. basically, I would ideally want a job where I can be on the front line or thereabouts but not just infantry, perhaps comms or engineering or something, but I don't want to be in a workshop etc.

Simply because, and I don't want to sound ignorant, but I want to be in the army for a good amount of years and come out with enough qualifications to get a job easily on the outside world, thats why i'd want to finish college so i would atleast have my a levels.

Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks a lot!
    Rich

2. WRONG FORUM!! :roll:

3. maybe suggesting the correct forum would be a tad more helpful du-lai? like the recruiting forum.........(or whatever it's called)

ok ok I can't see one - try looking round all the forums rich and post any questions in the relevant place - oh and ask your local recruiting office

4. Sounds like a candidate for the Royal Engineers

5. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Must be officer material with map reading skills like that.

6. (MY BOLD)
    Rich,
    What ever you decide to do, DON'T drop out, it may show a recruiter a lack of committment on your part. He/she would look at that and say, "he can't commit to college so how he going to commit to the army". See where i'm coming from here?
    Thats what my college tutors (Capt. in 4 PARA and Acting Major in RMP) always told me which was what made me finish the course i did.

Its entirely up to you though

As for jobs, try the army pathfinder on the careers website.

DR88

7. Don't drop the smarts being planted into your noggin son... even though it is $hite. Complete as dorsetross88 said, not long to go now.

And then....

Not REME for you if you don't like workshops... but if you're serious about engineering you can't avoid it... Hmm... Perhaps signals? Or what about a battery? Hmmm...

Yep... you're artillery or tanky, aw right? ;)

8. Charming you try to help someone out with advice i have been told by former and serving members of the armed forces. its reasonable advice though, You don't agree?

edited to add

i have never claimed to be serving. Yes i am undergoing selection hence the comment used in a pervious post saying "not long to go".

9. Read again me auld mucka... I completely 100% agree with you... the operative is on, "don't drop out", unless you really have to. Commitment to completition reguardless of the task shows the depth, will and maturity sought among the professionals. Your captain and major were spot on! ;)

10. Sorry, misread your post :oops:

11. Keep your head down, and your dicky's clean my son ;)

What section are you aiming for?

12. So an enthusiastic youngster comes here for advice and gets this help (from some of you!!).

Don't worry there is good advice on Arrse just ask and ignore the others;) But be prepared to take the banter:)

13. Aiming for Royal Artillery as an OP Assistant, its the kind of thing i like. Have been told that its only really the RHA and 5 Regt. that have a need for OP assistants by the recruiter.
    Whats your thoughts on the OP job I-L?

14. On this last bit... you'll get more qualifications in a full 22 than most civvy's acquire in a lifetime if you continually apply yourself and put yourself forward.

If you're adamant about keeping that all that so you can hit it running comming out, take a trade and take it quickly, then get into depot with seniority... and for gods sake what ever you do keep your IT skills sharp!! Thankfully that's easy nowadays.

If you've got the A'Levels under the belt... start it right!! The lads in the local recruitment office will see you 100% right. Give them a shout.

15. PTP, you've spoken about it - can we end this thread, or shift it?