Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joining the army at late 22 years of age!

Sjm98

Crow
Good evening ladies and gents,

I'm planning on joining the army I have slight concerns on joining the army as I think I won't be cut out for it. It's not because my fitness (my fitness is just about average enough to meet the standards), and still working on to improve, but the mental part. As I am 22 I feel like I am a bit too old or I'll get treated differently. Any advice you would give to a 22 year old? Or anyone here who joined later than just 18 would care to tell me there experience joining the army at 22 or above? And was it worth it in the long run, what life skills you left with?

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
22 is not old.
in my intake there was a lad who was 32.

I was an instructor to recruits, some of those recruits were older than some of the other instructors.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
22 is older than most for soldier recruits, but not unusual. On the officer side the oldest I've met was 34, but typically they average 23/24.

I was 20 when I joined in 1984. It's difficult to remember after all this time and alcohol but I'm certain I wasn't the oldest in my platoon. At that age I expect you'll be slightly older than average and in theory slightly more mature which means you'll probably get dicked for team leader and other roles with fractional responsibility during the first few weeks. By the time you've got a couple of years under your belt you'll be about average and any age difference will be invisible compared to ability.

estwist

Old-Salt
I'm 22 and about to re-join the army, date got etc.

You are a plonker, the age limit is 32, I had multiple 28-30 year olds in my course in 2016. Crazy post.

I'm 22 and about to re-join the army, date got etc.

You are a plonker, the age limit is 32, I had multiple 28-30 year olds in my course in 2016. Crazy post.

The age limit is 35 and 6 months for soldier entry and has been for about a year or two now.

But yeah recruits in the 28+ bracket signing up is ample these days.

Latest Threads