Joining the army at 30

I'd like to hear others opinions on joining the army at 30? I'm really struggling to decide if it's the right move for me at this age, some insight would be much appreciated.

I know the pay leaves alot to be desired and I'll be given orders by people much younger than me, which I'm fine with. I'm reasonably fit, especially for my age.

I'm applying for Royal Signals and I have my assessment centre tomorrow.

Jonno1928

Swinger
I'm 30 and awaiting assessment and I think it's the right decision. I wanted to join when I was younger but struggled with confidence massively and now I feel I'm ready.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Jammy66

War Hero
You've started the process so just go with it, I think you'll soon work it out for yourself. If you don't try you'll just alwasy wonder what if.

Just do it. If you are a good egg and mature, you'll find that you'll catch up with the seniors after a few years. Also, in the Signals, there isn't a huge amount of difference between Signallers and Lance Corporals - if you act like a ****, you'll be treated like one, if you add value people listen and treat you like an adult.

Many people who come on here to bleat fell into the former category before they signed off in a huff.

I'd like to hear others opinions on joining the army at 30? I'm really struggling to decide if it's the right move for me at this age, some insight would be much appreciated.

I know the pay leaves alot to be desired and I'll be given orders by people much younger than me, which I'm fine with. I'm reasonably fit, especially for my age.

After army I went to uni at 40. Best man at my wedding a couple of years later was a 22 year old ex Eton lad. Treat the younger lads with respect, get stuck in with sport (you'll probably be fitter/stronger). If you let them into your life, yours will be so much better - partly because you'll be expected to lead before you are empowered to do so, and when you are you'll find it a privilege.

After army I went to uni at 40. Best man at my wedding a couple of years later was a 22 year old ex Eton lad. Treat the younger lads with respect, get stuck in with sport (you'll probably be fitter/stronger). If you let them into your life, yours will be so much better - partly because you'll be expected to lead before you are empowered to do so, and when you are you'll find it a privilege.
I agree. Went to uni at 32 and became firm friends with a couple of younger chaps, level playing field, no rank issues. We actually mutually benefitted; me from their recent time at school and still knowing how to do peculiar equations; they from my time and real world experiences in the army. They used to have an open door at our house regularly using the spare room, washing machine and getting fed - in turn I was invited to the Isle of Man, Cayman Islands and had a base in Paris I could use anytime.

It got a bit borderline a couple of times when dealing with the young ladies on the course. A thirty-something male treating them as grownups has a positive impression and leads to invitations - absolutely fine ordinarily, but not so much if your Mrs is doing an MBA at the same university.

Bottom line: treat the kids as grown ups and it pays dividends in both directions.

Last edited:
Didn't do me any harm and you're applying for the Signals not the SAS. You might be embarrassed to find out you're fitter than some of the younger ones and emotional maturity is a massive advantage when the word promotion pops up.

Shakebody

Swinger
If you don't give it a shot you won't know what life is like in the melitary at 30..i bet you joining the British Army is the best decision you will ever make in a life time... So much opportunities to choose from..

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
It's only the Royal Signals, it's not as if they're proper soldiers, more like semaphore flag waving boys scouts!

danielwayne

Swinger

Do tell us how it went.
I'm 31 and my AC is on the 18th of November.
I'm only joining now because I couldn't do it before.

Latest Threads