Joining the army at 22?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by TomX, May 3, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I'm 16 at the moment and am going to study Maths at university next year. I will leave university when I'm 22 but I still want to go into the army as an infantryman.

I was just wondering whether or not I'd be considered too old to just have been recruited, what possibility is their of being able to become an infantryman.

Also, what other jobs in the army could a Mathematician do?

Thanks in Advance
  2. Hi TomX
    suggest you try the OTC ACF forum.
    Loads of guys in my OTC have plans to join after leaving. Should imagine you'll be fine, guys there will ahve more answers for you.
  3. Thanks, I'll repost this here.
  4. 23C

23C Clanker

I joined in 91 at the age of 22. There are some pro’s and con’s that you may want to know about joining at this age, all from my experience.

There will be a lot of competent and proficient 22yo’s already in with a lot of experience. You will have to ‘shine’ and hit the floor running when/if you get in. On the other hand what you will have is a positive work ethic, as you would have been subjected to deadlines and the likes from university. Your age will can and should work in your favour, as you will be more mature than the other 22yo’s around you. (Anyone in the army is a big kid no matter what rank).

Bottom line, go for it but don’t go Inf…join one of the Corps, get a trade you can use in Civ Div, don’t think short term think about what you can get out of the mob after 22 years of service.

23c +
  5. Thanks for the reply. I understand what you mean about having to hit the floor running if I joined the army at 22, I would be able to.

I'm not bothered about long term in a way :p I'd rather have a good short term (til ~30?) as an infantryman then worry about what do then, maybe do some research or anything else Maths related.
  6. Has your carrers advisor not mentioned Officer to you?
  7. Have you considered the Royal Marines? Then you could be an infanteer and learn a trade too ie Telecommunications Technian.
  8. hear hear - you might be a smart guy but the inf don't like 'smart' -that usually earns people a slapping.