joining the army as a foreigner

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Felix13, May 31, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. the subject says it all,

is it possible to join the British army as a foreigner (in this case: a Belgian)?
    i would have to change my nationality of course, that's not a problem for me, but i've heard that you can only join if you are born in the UK.

i just want to know if it's possible (leaving out integration and all for now)

grtz,
    Frederik

2. So your username is Felix, and yet you sign your post Frederik?

Who are you?

3. its kinnda my unofficial second name and Frederik was already taken for a name on the forum so i chose my second name. does that matter?

4. I met a Belgian back when I was joining the Army. I understand his father or mother was British though. Do you have a British parent? Also spoke to a Swiss guy joining up when I was working in my local careers office, I think he just gained citizenship through living in the UK.

Does any of this apply to you?

5. no, both my pearents are belgian.

how long does it take to gain citizenship? and if you gain it are you open to all functions in the army?

6. So your parents are both Belgian, you are Belgian, and yet you want to join the british forces? why?

Apart from the fact that the Belgian armed forces, are about as much use as the Dutch armed forces, why do you not want to join your own nations armed forces?

Sorry, but something about this stinks, and i dont meant the Beauvoorde....

7. Normally it takes 5 years to gain UK citizenship with the last year having to be Indefinite Leave to Remain (permanent residence) however as you are an EU citizen you don't actually have to get any permanent residency to remain in the UK as long as you like.

Here's a link that might help, its to the United Kingdom Border Agency - part of the Home Office which handles immigration issues.

Good Luck

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/

8. They might not be good now, but ive just read of them in the Korean war, and by heck them Belgies then were nails. No use though to the current question.

9. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

No you can't join. You are not a citizen, have no parental connection, and it would take you years of residency before you even began to qualify. Then they would look into your background and inevitably as 'why'?

So no. It's a waste of time.

10. 5 years is a long time...
    all that time i have to wait to join the army?

thanks for the site stabradop,
    appreciate it

11. thats bad news. but maybe your right...
    no need for false hope, but i will still look for info, you never know

12. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

Speaking as someone who knows a little bit about the UKBA and the UK Immigraton Rules, 5 years is the MINIMUM period of time it would take, not including application and associated checks, etc.

13. so thats a no go for me i guess

14. no offence felix but just as well otherwise the polish would be in UK forces too then theyd be everywhere

15. yeah, i understand what you are saying...
    shame..
    the British forces are by my opinion one of the best in the world. it would be nice to serve in it..