Joining the AGC as a Royal Military Police Officer (Is it a good job?)

I’m currently looking to become an Officer in the Army (I’m 16 atm) more specifically, to join the AGC as a RMP Officer. I’ve always loved the idea of the Army and the Police and when I found out about the RMP, I thought it was a dream job. I could earn great qualifications and a myriad of benefits such as training and pay while doing a job I’ve always wanted to do - become Batman. Joking aside, I find it interesting to be conducting military and criminal investigations and maintaining order both in society and the military (especially with all the terrorists attacks pissing me off - fuelling me further) However, I’ve heard the RMP isn’t a particularly engaging job, the work is tedious and redundant and all that shit. Is this the case? The RMP seems ideal for me as I’ve always supported the idea of justice and the concept of the Army.

I’m currently looking to become an Officer in the Army (I’m 16 atm) more specifically, to join the AGC as a RMP Officer. I’ve always loved the idea of the Army and the Police and when I found out about the RMP, I thought it was a dream job. I could earn great qualifications and a myriad of benefits such as training and pay while doing a job I’ve always wanted to do - become Batman. Joking aside, I find it interesting to be conducting military and criminal investigations and maintaining order both in society and the military (especially with all the terrorists attacks pissing me off - fuelling me further) However, I’ve heard the RMP isn’t a particularly engaging job, the work is tedious and redundant and all that shit. Is this the case? The RMP seems ideal for me as I’ve always supported the idea of justice and the concept of the Army.
You not interest in the police force?

However, I’ve heard the RMP isn’t a particularly engaging job, the work is tedious and redundant and all that shit. Is this the case? The RMP seems ideal for me as I’ve always supported the idea of justice and the concept of the Army.
Almost all professions have their down sides but remember on paper this started off as your ‘dream job?’
You’re doing the right thing trying to find out as much about it as you can but it will boil down to your choice- and whether you want to give it a whirl or not. And if not, be one of those blokes who always wonders “what if?”

Edited to add:
I've just re-read the OP and seen that the poster really wishes to be Batman, to which end he should probably be directed towards aspiring to an eventual career in the special forces.
I was trying to think of a monkey based superhero with no success :mrgreen:

Last edited:
I’ve always wanted to join the Army, even with the respect I have for the Police. I also figured that doing this role would help me become a Police Officer if I decide to leave.
Speaking as an ex-soldier, now a serving copper, most Forces' HR departments will completely ignore the fact that you'd been an RMP Officer. You wouldn't fit into an increasingly bizarre series of competencies that they measure prospective Police Officers against. I was lucky and started training to be a nurse between leaving the Army and joining the Police so the majority of my application form revolved around that, and how I considered peoples' feelings and saw their point of view etc etc ad nauseam.

Additionally, my experience of RMP officers is that they don't do an awful lot of policing on a routine basis, instead being bogged down with case file reviews and the usual admin niff naff that goes with being a Pl Comd in peace time. I work with one ex-officer (ex RA) who found daily response policing a teeth grinding experience, however she was lucky/made her own luck and managed to get into a fairly niche area of Policing; she is now a Detective Sergeant in one of our Int departments, however she is an exception.

Having just re-read the above I realize I probably sound extremely cynical and bitter; if you really want to be an RMP officer, go for it. Ideally it will lead onto better things outside the Army, however if you do decide to join the Old Bill, you will go from being all that an Army Officer entails to being stood in some city centre hell-hole at 0330hrs wearing a yellow jacket and silly hat, surrounded by the following:

1) Screeching harpies who ask if they can pee in your helmet (this is not a variation on space docking).
2) Sullen students who moan at you to "make the bouncer let them in" whilst proffering some dubious dog eared form of "ID", as said doorman thinks student is too young and won't allow entry.
3) Pissed up/coked up shirtless warriors who will explode in a cloud of arms and legs in front of you ten minutes to knocking off after a half-night shift thereby necessitating the breaking of sweat and deployment of handcuffs at a time when you should be in the locker room hanging your vest up before doing it all again eleven hours later.

If you want to be a copper join the Old Bill, if you want to be a copper in the Army, join as an NCO. I believe that @wetsmonkey was ex-RMP. He may be able to offer further advice.

Having re-re-read; God I'm boring.

Can’t really disagree with @needlewaver.
Being in The RMP will not help you necessarily getting into the police as the selection process is designed to be neutral and allow anyone who displays the required qualities to get in. Once in it may help.

The RMP strive to be soldiers and police officers. Some succeed but others don’t, either good at one or the other or average at both. This was my experience which was 11 years ago. My current station has 3 RMP who have recently left in the last 18 months, they have settled in well and will make good cops. Equally I see folks from across all 3 services who make just as good officers with no previous experience.

It’s a state of mind in the end which you either have or you are able to attain by applying yourself and training.

Do the job in the army that you think you will be the best at and enjoy not with 1 eye on being a civvy copper. Plenty of people join the oldbill from other military roles successfully.

When I said it would help me become a Police Officer, I meant in terms of skills. I’ll have Police-like training and skills (like you said, this probably won’t matter to them) but it’ll help in terms of training - performing well doing the things I already know.

As a RMP Officer, I'll give you some advice that is actually from someone doing the job, rather than a bunch of people guessing about it.

your job as a pl Comd will be more or less the same as the rest of the army, you'll be supported by a Pl 2ic, normally a SSgt who will mentor you and teach you how to review and check investigations. Between the two of you, you'll also administrate the platoon.
Your exposure to policing will depend on your chain of command, when I was a company 2ic I ensured the pl Comds always did a night shift to keep themselves current. Again depending where you are will depend on how well you get on with the local force.
But, your primary job is command and control, you'll learn to give direction on investigations. You will spend most of your time behind a desk (but all Pl Comds do that).
Your next job will normally be as an Ops Officer running training, which again is a generic army officer job.

Have a rummage in the forum below, there's plenty of RMP based info three. Or give me a PM, i'll answer when I'm not half cut from the rugby.

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/forums/agc-raptc-and-sasc.43/page-2

Edited to add:
I've just re-read the OP and seen that the poster really wishes to be Batman, to which end he should probably be directed towards aspiring to an eventual career in the special forces.
I was trying to think of a monkey based superhero with no success :mrgreen:
Ahem......cough, cough.....someone call?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Army Reserve 5
E Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment 4
C AGC, RAPTC and SASC 23