joining ta

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by minime83, Apr 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all.
    I desperately want to join the ta but i weigh 15 stone with a bmi of 36. I am currently working with my doctor to try and lose some weight but i am worried its going to stop me getting in.
    Any advice anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.
  2. If it fat or muscle?

If it is fat you will most likely to be told to come back when you are no longer the stunt double for Private Piles.

Get running and stop eating pies.

Why are you seeing your Doctor?
  3. If not Join the RLC or apply to be a Tech in the Sigs, fitness is optional
  4. please dont join fat boy you will fail. by this i mean in the infantry, try signals, loads of them
  5. Even R.Sigs are turning away pie munchers and cake gobblers. The cuts are hitting hard! :D
  6. Join the regular army mate they'll shed the pounds for ya it'll only take 3 years :D
  7. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

The RLC will always welcome fat knackers :D

Especially if you are from other parts of the world and desperately need to get a passport. Or pregnant.
  8. Ironic choice of user name.
  9. I had a BMI of about 28.1 (I got told a BMI of 28 is the maximum standard) when I joined however I have a lot of muscle but since then I have lost some fat.

My waist got measured by the Dr to check if it was less than 36 and it was so there was no issue with it.

If you are fat then it definatly will stop you getting in...when you loose it all it wont stop you getting in.

The question kind of seems pointless.
  10. Further to this, some people who train alot with weights or play sports for example rugby players who have large BMI's yet are fit, can attend a further medical where a persons fat is measured in proportion to his / her muscle.

This would normally be arranged by the RMO.
  11. Loggy is right here and Dr's especially take the BMI test with a pinch of salt.
    If it seriously was based completely off BMI getting into the British forces we would have about 2 Royal Marines left and no one in the SAS.
  12. Yeah theres a difference between, say a Rugby player with a BMI of 30 and a fat guy with the BMI of 30.

The Rugby players weight will mostly be from muscle whereas the fat guy's weight would come from fat.

Muscle burns more calories than fat so the more muscle you have the better your metabolism and the quicker you'll burn away any fat... thats what i've always understood anyways....