Joining TA

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by pio12345, Mar 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there

I'm currently going through the process of trying to get into Sandhurst. Have been told by my careers officer that I'm unlikely to be able to attend Sandhurst before January (assuming I pass everything!). I've heard mixed things about whether its possible to do some time in the TA before and that some regiments are happy with this but others are not. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on anywhere that might be happy to have me along (I'm in London). Nine months doesn't sound like very much time and I don't really want to get in the way of TA regiments as I know they do have lots on their plate without some potential regular officer freeloading. However would like to have the opportunity to brush up on by being able to have a go at obstacle courses etc
  2. You can actually go and partake in fitness with your local TA unit, and a lot of AFCOs run training days.

I wouldn't recommend joining the TA for nine months. It takes longer than that to commission.

Ring your AFCO to ask about fitness days and if you want to keep your hand in a bit then why not volunteer with your cadet or local OTC group? Even if it's just doing a bit of admin. I've always enjoyed my time working with both.
  3. Join the TA, get an idea, get a taste, enjoy.
  4. msr

msr LE

As long as you are open and honest, they will welcome you with open arms.

And don't forget the TA when you leave - they will welcome you back with open arms.

5. It took me 6 months from application to joining my first TA unit - Irish ancestry. If TA is your thing then it isn't so bad but if it's a stop-gap then you should just concentrate on your fitness and get a temp job.