Joining TA with Criminal Record

Hi,
I want to apply for the TA at the age of 33 as an officer in the engineers, but unfortunately had a bit of a naughty youth. I have a criminal conviction 13 years ago for possession of cannabis with intent to supply, which even though i wasnt actually a proper supplier i had enough cannabis to be charged with supplying. Ofcourse it is now very spent but will this bar me from applying? I got 120 hours and a £100 fine for the offence.

Speak to the unit you wish to join about this.

msr

It won't prevent you from joining the TA (IIRC as it is spent you are not obligated to declare it) however if you intend to commission it may affect your application for security clearance (thought this is a decision for DVA) which is a requirement for commissioned service, just make sure you fill in as much detail as possible on your clearance application when you get given it to do.

I havent actually made a final decision on whether to apply as an officer or a soldier, but i'm doing university so figured its probably the best thing to do. However if i apply as an officer and dont succeed or change my mind am i able to enrol as soldier straight away or do i have to do a new application?

You will enlist as a soldier regardless and complete phase 1 as a soldier, alongside this (if applying as an officer) you will complete AOSB briefing and main board and then go on to officer training after phase 1 rather than trade training (for soldiers).

If you are unsuccessful at any stage you can continue to serve as a soldier without SC (certain trades excepted Int Corps, some R Sigs, etc).

Oh right.. didnt realise that, i thought it was all totally separate training.
Would you advise to be upfront about my conviction for possession of cannabis before hand or keep quiet unless it comes up? I'm a bit concerned about this because i read that anyone who has a criminal record for trafficking or supply would automatically be barred from applying?

Your help is most appreciated thanks.

As i've stated there is no need to declare it on your application to join if it is spent. Without having a quick look at the current version of the SC application I can't tell you off the top of my head whether spent convictions are to be declared (though I believe they are). Just make sure you read the application paperwork when you fill it out. If you are asked to declare spent convictions declare it, if you are asked to ignore spent convictions ignore it.

ok thanks , I just don't want to do all the officer training only to find it was a waste of time because i dont pass SC lol. Would be good experience to do that though, but ultimately i do want to be an officer. Also is there a maximum service time for a TA officer?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean however you can apply to become an officer up to the age of 35 and serve until the day before your 55th birthday.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'm not entirely sure what you mean however you can apply to become an officer up to the age of 35 and serve until the day before your 55th birthday.
When did that change? (ref the up to age 35 bit, was considerably younger than that previously).

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Strictly speaking it's 30 (but RMAS will take candidates up to 35). Bear in mind this is for applying as a TA Officer.
OK, thanks. Thought that things had changed officially but I'm assuming it's still the case that if the candidate is over 30 a waiver can be applied for.

I have applied to join the TA as an officer and have an interview comming up. I have a spent caution and a driving offence which is spent. I realise I don't have to declare them as they are spent but I will have to do the DVA vetting as I'm applying as an officer where I will have to declare them.

The question is do I tell the Colonel in my interview about my spent caution and driving offence as surely he will need to know for the vetting (as he may be the sponser for the vetting application) and if I don't tell him he will find out and will think I've tried to hide it.

I am going to be honest throughout but should I expand i.e Col "do you have any unspent convictions" me- "no but i do have a spent caution and driving offence".

Also.... The caution was for something a bit embarassing - when I was 17 I had a relationship with a 15 year old (not too uncommon) and the other persons parents reported it and as she was underage I got a caution as "technically" she couldnt consent as she wasnt 16 even though she did if you know what I mean

Do you think this will stop my application?

Cheers

Dan

I have applied to join the TA as an officer and have an interview comming up. I have a spent caution and a driving offence which is spent. I realise I don't have to declare them as they are spent but I will have to do the DVA vetting as I'm applying as an officer where I will have to declare them.

The question is do I tell the Colonel in my interview about my spent caution and driving offence as surely he will need to know for the vetting (as he may be the sponser for the vetting application) and if I don't tell him he will find out and will think I've tried to hide it.

I am going to be honest throughout but should I expand i.e Col "do you have any unspent convictions" me- "no but i do have a spent caution and driving offence".

Also.... The caution was for something a bit embarassing - when I was 17 I had a relationship with a 15 year old (not too uncommon) and the other persons parents reported it and as she was underage I got a caution as "technically" she couldnt consent as she wasnt 16 even though she did if you know what I mean

Do you think this will stop my application?

Cheers

Dan
They won't give a shit. Just declare it on the paperwork, if there is a space to include it, or just leave it. If you ever require a higher vetting you will declare it there, and they similarly won't give a monkey's.

Make sure you declare it on the vetting forms as they will check and find it regardless. Whether you mention it to the CO or not is your call, it's more likely the sponsor will be the unit PVRO.