Joining TA whilst at University

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Scotty1, Aug 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello Arrser's!

I am currently in my second year of a four year degree and I have started to think about joining up with the regulars when I graduate. I have had no previous military experience but would like to do something useful with my last two years (a part of course from study and drinking ;) ) I'd like a feel for military life and my hope is that it'd give my application a bit more credibility when/if I decide to go fulltime.

I have considered the OTC and whilst it sounds grand, I'd rather be doing a real job. Also being a second year, joining a group of freshers isn't all that appealing. In regards to deployment, what are the chances and could a deferment be made until I graduate etc?

I am also still learning to swim (well, thats pending!) is that a problem for recruitment? My local area TA are either Sigs, Infantry or Medical (the former two more likely then the latter) would swiming be a necessity? I am also looking at possibly the Int Corp when I graduate, would serving in a different trade as TA be a help or hinderance if I go fulltime later on? (With study, I am not to keen on travelling the 2 1/2 hours down to my nearest Int TA section at least one weekday and most weekends)

Thanks for any help you can offer!

2. msr

msr LE

3. Thanks msr!

4. msr

msr LE

If you tell us which Uni, the you may get some good advice on which local unit to join.

My recommendation is inf.

msr

5. but you are misguided and a loon. armour, my boy, armour.

6. There is one thing to bear in mind if you join TA rather than OTC and thats that in OTC annual camp is fitted into the long vacation (i believe) but in TA it may well be in term time. I know this because I joined the TA at uni during my second year rather than ponce about with a bunch of stuck-up OTC knobs!! and had a great time.

7. msr

msr LE

And you, Sir, are blinded by dogma: My local area TA are either Sigs, Infantry or Medical

msr

8. You're both misguided - the TA is the wrong service to join; join the RNR and head over to Rum Ration :)

<Ducks and runs for cover>

9. I am at Aberdeen, so I believe my nearest units are 51 (Highland) Signal Squadron, B Company 51st Highland 7th Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland and A Squadron 205 Field Hospital.

I was tempted by 205 Field Hospital as a medic, but I've heard that TA medics don't actually get to use their training on patients etc, so I'd fear it'd be a bit of a waste. My nearest Int secton are 23 (V) MI Company - Field Security, but being as they are down in Edinburgh and by the looks of it their role is to produce security assessments and reports it seems a bit to much like the paper-pushing side of Int.

Thanks again for your all your help!

10. msr

msr LE

Go for Inf - very little kit to maintain and the skills will be useful wherever you go next.

11. Cheers msr, learning and working in the combat side of things would make the progression into the regulars a little less painful and would be good for the next two years.

I have been tempted by the signals role though; I'd learn something of a new trade (communications systems operator seems most likely), hopefully I'll get to put it to some use and if I still want to go into Int later then I may have some of the inside knowledge of the IT/COMMS systems already. I am thinking straight or am I way off?

Thanks again!

12. msr

msr LE

Way off. Go Inf.

msr

13. I think the fieldcraft, weapons handling, drill etc.. learned in the TA infantry will give you a nice advantage in your Phase 1 training.
    Plus with sigs it might get a little boring because there is only so much the TA units can do.

14. Cheers lads, I'll pop into the local AFCO and get contact details for B Company(51st Highland) - the number on their Army homepage doesn't seem to work. I'll look at all my options and go have a look round a few units.

Thanks again!

15. msr

msr LE

or have a look at http://www.tanearyou.org.uk

http://www.tanearyou.org.uk/unitdetails.php?id=98

B Company Rifle Platoon, 51st Highland, 7th Bn The Royal Regiment of Scotland - Infantry

Unit Overview:

Success in battle ultimately depends on the infantry soldier closing with the enemy and defeating him. The role of the infantry today is more demanding than ever before and their equipment is complex not only individual weapons like the new SA80 rifle but mortars, grenades and anti-tank weapons as well as vehicles and radio equipment.

There are now only two TA Infantry Battalions in Scotland, both members of the scottish infantry regiment, The Royal Regiment of Scotland. In the Highlands this is 51st Highland, 7th Battalion, The Royal Regiment of Scotland (7SCOTS) and in the Lowlands this is the 52nd Lowland, 6th Battalion, The Royal Regiment of Scotland (6SCOTS). In addition there is a company of Para and a Squadron of SAS.

The Headquarters for 7SCOTS is in Perth. Glasgow is the Headquarters of 6SCOTS. There are Infantry sub-units of each of the two Regiments located in Aberdeen, Ayr, Dumbarton, Dumfries, Dundee, Dunoon, Edinburgh, Galashiels, Inverness, Keith, Kirkcaldy, Lerwick, Motherwell, Perth, Peterhead, Stirling, Stornoway and Wick.

Skills: Mortarmen, Anti-tank Gunners, Riflemen, Radio Operators, Drivers, Clerks and Storemen and Cooks.

Parade Times: Tuesday, 7.30pm - 9.30pm

Recruiting Contact: Recruiting Team on 01224 702333.

msr