Joining TA, ideally join as an Officer, might be too late?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by CoolerKing, Jun 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I initially wrote this long winded post but it's bound to bore somebody. So, long story short:

I'm 29, is this too late to attempt to join the TA as an Officer?

I'm aware that you need to pass initial selection and training before being applicable for AOSB, I might not have tie to get that all in.
  2. msr

msr LE

I don't think that it is, but go along to your local unit and ask.

3. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

I thought the age limit was raised to 33 a short while back....but may be MSR said, no harm in popping your head in the unit and asking.

4. Thanks chaps.

I had read that for several units that 30 was the upper limit for Officers, entering as a soldier can be done up to 33. I'll give the local centre a call.
  5. I have heard it was readjusted to 29 again for both TA and regular. I was told that at grantham but a officer in charge of my platoon.
  6. I'll give them a bell anyway, I should've signed up on leaving school. The boat may have sailed, but I'll still sign up as Soldier regardless.

Thanks for the help all.
  7. Best option mate. I think the goal posts have been readjusted quite a few times in recent years that the horses mouth is the only way to be sure.

Good luck
  8. Does anyone know what the qualifications are for joining the TA as an Officer? My Recruiter wasn't sure; I've got one Scottish Higher (C, in English) but I'm in the First Year of an Honours degree.
  9. msr

msr LE

Go to your local unit and ask them.

If you are doing a degree, then it should not be a problem.

10. Just to confuse things even more i had an idea that you had to be under 36 to start the officer training bit.
  11. Well I meant my recruiter ^^^ from the local unit didn't know. I will see what he says again though, cheers msr.

5. AOSB (TA). With effect from 01 Apr 07 TA educational entry standards are as follows:

a. TA Direct Entry Officers. All TA Direct Entry officers must achieve both:

(1) A minimum of 35 ALIS points from their best 7 subjects at GCSE (or equivalent, 34 points for
    Scottish Standards). Candidates must have English Language and Mathematics and either a
    foreign language or science, all at a minimum of Grade C

(2) A minimum of 180 UCAS Tariff Points, which must include at least 2 x A2 qualifications at grade
    E (or equivalent) or better.

b. Soldier Entrants. Serving TA soldiers now require a minimum of 5 GCSEs (Grades A-C). The Army
    School of Education, Worthy Down, can assess all serving TA soldiers (excluding UOTC) who fail
    to meet this standard. TA UOTC candidates are required to meet the direct entry entrant standard
    regardless of the military rank held.

6. AOSB Discretionary Powers. AOSB retains the discretion to waive the minimum educational requirements
    should the overall profile of a candidate indicate significant compensating qualities in other areas.

6. The principal use of the UCAS tariff is as an entry mechanism for HE. It is normal for those potential officers
    who already hold a degree from a British University to be deemed as having satisfied the entry standards for
    officers. Holding a degree from a UK University will normally exempt a candidate from achieving the UCAS Tariff.
    However, the AOSB has the authority to reject less able candidates who, whilst holding a degree, fall significantly
    below the UCAS tariff .

13. Age Limits

You are supposed to be under 30 to commission into the more robust units or under 35 for the sedentary ones.

However, age waivers are granted routinely if your unit asks for it. The age of TA officers upon commissioning reached a new peak on the March course when a 39 year-old RLC TAPO commissioned.

29 will not be a problem if the unit wants you as an officer.

UCAS Points calculator

14. msr

msr LE

Please can you post the reference for that?

15. 2007DIN02-063