Joining TA, ideally join as an Officer, might be too late?

I initially wrote this long winded post but it's bound to bore somebody. So, long story short:

I'm 29, is this too late to attempt to join the TA as an Officer?

I'm aware that you need to pass initial selection and training before being applicable for AOSB, I might not have tie to get that all in.

msr

LE
I don't think that it is, but go along to your local unit and ask.

msr

Sympathetic_Reaction

LE
Book Reviewer
I thought the age limit was raised to 33 a short while back....but may be wrong...as MSR said, no harm in popping your head in the unit and asking.

S_R

Thanks chaps.

I had read that for several units that 30 was the upper limit for Officers, entering as a soldier can be done up to 33. I'll give the local centre a call.

Sympathetic_Reaction said:
I thought the age limit was raised to 33 a short while back....but may be wrong...as MSR said, no harm in popping your head in the unit and asking.

S_R
I have heard it was readjusted to 29 again for both TA and regular. I was told that at grantham but a officer in charge of my platoon.

I'll give them a bell anyway, I should've signed up on leaving school. The boat may have sailed, but I'll still sign up as Soldier regardless.

Thanks for the help all.

CoolerKing said:
I'll give them a bell anyway, I should've signed up on leaving school. The boat may have sailed, but I'll still sign up as Soldier regardless.

Thanks for the help all.
Best option mate. I think the goal posts have been readjusted quite a few times in recent years that the horses mouth is the only way to be sure.

Good luck

dtsmylch

Swinger
Does anyone know what the qualifications are for joining the TA as an Officer? My Recruiter wasn't sure; I've got one Scottish Higher (C, in English) but I'm in the First Year of an Honours degree.

msr

LE
dtsmylch said:
Does anyone know what the qualifications are for joining the TA as an Officer? My Recruiter wasn't sure; I've got one Scottish Higher (C, in English) but I'm in the First Year of an Honours degree.
Go to your local unit and ask them.

If you are doing a degree, then it should not be a problem.

msr

dtsmylch

Swinger
msr said:
dtsmylch said:
Go to your local unit and ask them.

If you are doing a degree, then it should not be a problem.

msr
Well I meant my recruiter ^^^ from the local unit didn't know. I will see what he says again though, cheers msr.

Ex_Pompadour

Old-Salt
NEW EDUCATIONAL ENTRY STANDARDS

5. AOSB (TA). With effect from 01 Apr 07 TA educational entry standards are as follows:

a. TA Direct Entry Officers. All TA Direct Entry officers must achieve both:

(1) A minimum of 35 ALIS points from their best 7 subjects at GCSE (or equivalent, 34 points for
Scottish Standards). Candidates must have English Language and Mathematics and either a
foreign language or science, all at a minimum of Grade C

(2) A minimum of 180 UCAS Tariff Points, which must include at least 2 x A2 qualifications at grade
E (or equivalent) or better.

b. Soldier Entrants. Serving TA soldiers now require a minimum of 5 GCSEs (Grades A-C). The Army
School of Education, Worthy Down, can assess all serving TA soldiers (excluding UOTC) who fail
to meet this standard. TA UOTC candidates are required to meet the direct entry entrant standard
regardless of the military rank held.

6. AOSB Discretionary Powers. AOSB retains the discretion to waive the minimum educational requirements
should the overall profile of a candidate indicate significant compensating qualities in other areas.

HOLDING A DEGREE

6. The principal use of the UCAS tariff is as an entry mechanism for HE. It is normal for those potential officers
who already hold a degree from a British University to be deemed as having satisfied the entry standards for
officers. Holding a degree from a UK University will normally exempt a candidate from achieving the UCAS Tariff.
However, the AOSB has the authority to reject less able candidates who, whilst holding a degree, fall significantly
below the UCAS tariff .

Ex-P

Ex_Pompadour

Old-Salt
Age Limits

You are supposed to be under 30 to commission into the more robust units or under 35 for the sedentary ones.

However, age waivers are granted routinely if your unit asks for it. The age of TA officers upon commissioning reached a new peak on the March course when a 39 year-old RLC TAPO commissioned.

29 will not be a problem if the unit wants you as an officer.

UCAS Points calculator

http://www.merlinhelpsstudents.com/studentlife/beforeuniversity/ucas/ucaspointscalculator.asp

Ex_P

msr

LE
Ex_P,

Please can you post the reference for that?

msr

dtsmylch

Swinger
Ex_Pompadour said:
6. AOSB Discretionary Powers. AOSB retains the discretion to waive the minimum educational requirements
should the overall profile of a candidate indicate significant compensating qualities in other areas.
...Is basically what I'm hoping for, although my single Higher (C) adds up to a lofty 48 UCAS Points. (I got into Uni by being a Mature Student, where presumably it doesn't matter if you're unable to tie your shoelaces!)

Steadders

Swinger
Hi, going to hijack this thread instead of starting another,

I want to join th TA as an Officer but I don't have the UCAS points (none at all), Can you join the TA as a pvt and ask to apply to become an officer with the CO approval?

But saying that, as mentioned above about degrees, I was tempted to do onewith the OU, is this definately classed as a UK uni?

Ex_Pompadour said:
NEW EDUCATIONAL ENTRY STANDARDS

5. AOSB (TA). With effect from 01 Apr 07 TA educational entry standards are as follows:

a. TA Direct Entry Officers. All TA Direct Entry officers must achieve both:

(1) A minimum of 35 ALIS points from their best 7 subjects at GCSE (or equivalent, 34 points for
Scottish Standards). Candidates must have English Language and Mathematics and either a
foreign language or science, all at a minimum of Grade C

(2) A minimum of 180 UCAS Tariff Points, which must include at least 2 x A2 qualifications at grade
E (or equivalent) or better.

b. Soldier Entrants. Serving TA soldiers now require a minimum of 5 GCSEs (Grades A-C). The Army
School of Education, Worthy Down, can assess all serving TA soldiers (excluding UOTC) who fail
to meet this standard. TA UOTC candidates are required to meet the direct entry entrant standard
regardless of the military rank held.

HOLDING A DEGREE

6. The principal use of the UCAS tariff is as an entry mechanism for HE. It is normal for those potential officers
who already hold a degree from a British University to be deemed as having satisfied the entry standards for
officers. Holding a degree from a UK University will normally exempt a candidate from achieving the UCAS Tariff.
However, the AOSB has the authority to reject less able candidates who, whilst holding a degree, fall significantly
below the UCAS tariff .

Ex-P
You may also wish to know that the Colonel at my Brigade training HQ also informed me that the CO may allow older candidates to go forward at his request. (May 09, Wyvern Barracks) - edited for spelling once.

Ex_Pompadour said:
Age LimitsThe age of TA officers upon commissioning reached a new peak on the March course when a 39 year-old RLC TAPO commissioned.

Ex_P
Not a new peak really - there was a 39 y.o. RCT bod on my TA RMAS course - in 1987! What goes around comes around - these goalposts will always keep moving...so it's always worth asking the question - the worst they can say is NO.

QNOGUNS

Old-Salt
Is it the same criteria if I have served 22 years, left as SSGT and want to join as an officer or is that another different kettle of fish??

Latest Threads