Joining TA after Medical Discharge from Regs

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by negligent_discharge, Jun 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening chaps.

Back in 2001 I recieved a medical discharge after serving 3 years in the regualr Army and as such I am recieving a War Pension each month.

However I really miss service life and I was wondering if it would be possible for me to join the TA as an alternative to regular service.

I am fully prepared to give up my war pension should i be accepted.

Also if I were to be accepted what would be the chances of me being deployed on op's ? as I don't really see much point in rejoining if all I would be able to do is attend parade nights at my local TAC.

I know it's probably a long shot but as I have always been told "the only stupid question is the one you dont ask"

2. msr

msr LE

3. Did you type that with a straight face?
  4. msr

msr LE

At the point of enlistment, they are.

5. Hmmm, the paperwork may say so, but this is an organization that you can walk off the street into, pretend to be a doctor and then conduct medicals. Forgive me if I don't assume the rules are followed without fail.
  6. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

It's been true as of 2008 when TA potential recruits had to undergo the same ADSC programme. How this would effect the original poster is up for debate as a unit can argue the toss with APC for special enlistments vis-a-vis previous service. In short, if a TA unit really wants you there exists a chance. Pay them a visit and ask.
  7. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Yeah fair one.
  8. Thanks for the reply's guy's looks like I'll be paying my local TAC a visit then :)

As for becoming an ACF AI the idea of that really doesn't float my boat tbh.

9. msr

msr LE

Fixed it for you. And heaven forbid anyone pretending to be a regular soldier has ever walked into a regular barracks...