Joining RLC as an Ammunition Technician at 29, Good idea or bad?

Auldsod

Old-Salt
Hey Lads,

Looking for a bit of advice on what may be a life changing career choice. I'm well into the recruitment process for potentially enlisting and going the ammo tech route. The career is something that would interest me a great deal but my only hangup now is about my age.

I'm 29 at the minute and would be 30 at least by the time I've phase one and two training under my belt (assuming I get accepted). I'm currently working in a supervisory role in the financial services sector. Pay is only alright but there is scope for further promotion over the next few years. I have an honours degree in History however I know that's not directly relevant to the job

My big hangup is about career prospects at going in at this level. At my more advanced age I find I have to think about a possible longer term future in the corps regardless of the fact that I might find that I'm as useful as a chocolate fire guard when I actually make it to the job. Are there good prospects for promotion to SNCO, WO and even going LE at my age or would I always be restricted because I didn't join at a far younger age?

I understand I am assuming a lot but want to make sure I'm making the right call on joining up. Good idea or madness? Thanks for any and all advice in advance.

Ammo Tech is the perfect role for your age and experience. Promotion is quite so it suits the more mature with life experience, especially when you start managing process buildings, demolition grounds and the other great variety of jobs we do.

You will have very good chance of making LE Officer. You'll be a Sgt in 5 years. I've a good friend WO2 in 8 years, another WO1 in 10 years and this isn't uncommon.

Auldsod

Old-Salt
That sounds like the kind of reassurance I was looking for. It is the job I'm interested in and I'm not obsessed with promotion or even a commission (even though that would be nice). Being honest, if I was a few years younger, I would have gone the Sandhurst route and looked to become an ATO. I was just worried that I might find myself with an aptitude and ability for the job yet be stuck in a rut as a Cpl counting bullets in a depot in eight years time due to lake of promotability due to age. Thanks again for the helpful response.

I have a 30 year old AT LCpl working for me - I would have seen it as a bit odd in another trade but not ammunition.

You'll have a lot to live up to of course, Dingerr for instance :)

That sounds like the kind of reassurance I was looking for. It is the job I'm interested in and I'm not obsessed with promotion or even a commission (even though that would be nice). Being honest, if I was a few years younger, I would have gone the Sandhurst route and looked to become an ATO. I was just worried that I might find myself with an aptitude and ability for the job yet be stuck in a rut as a Cpl counting bullets in a depot in eight years time due to lake of promotability due to age. Thanks again for the helpful response.
The only bar to promotion will be yourself.

Just pass your mandatory tests each year, do what's asked of you and it's in the bag.

Latest Threads