Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joining REME - Bit of a belly on

Evening all.

As title suggests, I will be joining the REME as a Recovery Mechanic soon (Just waiting on date for Glencorse) and was wondering if this might be an issue?

Backstory is, I lost quite alot of weight (17st 4lbs previously, 14st 1lbs currently. 5ft 9 for reference) and plan on losing another stone or two before I am happy. I applied back in November with the intention of losing a couple more stone before I was even contacted but the application process has moved along quite a lot faster than I expected. That brings me to today, where I am waiting for my assessment center date. Obviously I still have a bit of terry on and am wondering if this will be a problem. My recruiter has assured me that my BMI is within range (albeit barely). Despite this, I am still getting around 10 minutes in my 2k. Will the extra bit of chunk put me at any disadvantage? Bearing in mind I plan on losing quite a bit more. Its worth mentioning that I am also working on strength, going from not being able to do a single pull up to now being able to do 5-6 (wow...). Will this low amount of pullups put me at a disadvantage?

Cheers lads, looking forward to hearing some insight into this.

964ST

War Hero
If you are accepted then you will find that in basics you will be honed! It is hard but stick at it! and even though you will have times that you want to quit at the start, honestly !

Better than a boring life.

Most people on here left decades ago. Ask you recruiter

If you are accepted then you will find that in basics you will be honed! It is hard but stick at it! and even though you will have times that you want to quit at the start, honestly !

Better than a boring life.
Definitely feel as ready as I can be, I have been running since the start of losing the weight and can comfortably run around 5-6k no issues. Just didn't want to be written off at first sight that's all :soldier:

Eyes_Right

Swinger
Just picture somebody giving you a few bags of sugar (2lb) to carry on a run. How many would you rather leave behind? Assume you are going to be successful in getting to basics, you'll have more in reserve for every bag of sugar you can leave behind. Good luck with it.

RTU'd

War Hero
You will run a lot in Phase 1
When you get to SEME in Phase 2 you will run a lot more.
Once fully trained & used to eating via PAYD you will have lost weight & got fit.

CC_TA

LE
You will run a lot in Phase 1
When you get to SEME in Phase 2 you will run a lot more.
Once fully trained & used to eating via PAYD you will have lost weight & got fit.

RTU'd: SEME? That's all but housing estate and road now. :)

Griff: Keep up with the phys at home but don't over do it. Little wins and little gains. As long as you are improving bit by bit you're going in the right direction.

You're becoming a reccy mech so as long as you can lift and drag you'll be fine. (Being able to a few more chin ups will be good - 5 to 6 ain't a bad start.)

Good luck and enjoy your journey.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
You will not be judged on how you look, but on if you can be successful in the various fitness requirements.

Sandy Heath

Old-Salt
I have known a lot of "well built" Rec Mechs who might have had problems with running but had lots of stamina. Much heavy lifting and often working in very difficult conditions. They often said that the best bit of the job was that you were given a task and then pretty much left unsupervised until your crew had completed it (then back for beer and pies).

I have known a lot of "well built" Rec Mechs who might have had problems with running but had lots of stamina. Much heavy lifting and often working in very difficult conditions. They often said that the best bit of the job was that you were given a task and then pretty much left unsupervised until your crew had completed it (then back for beer and pies).
Useful insulation when pulling a vehicle out of a snow filled ditch in darkest sub zero winter.

UORMan

War Hero
Congrats on your weight loss so far, and I hope you are successful and enjoy a full and varied career in your chosen role.

Latest Threads