• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Joining REME and pay structure

Hi all,
I'm currently looking at joining the army and looking at either aircraft, avionics or electronics tech. I have all the qualifications required and fitness levels.

Want I can't seem to find is the pay structure and promotion time scale (promotion isn't high on the list). Can anyone enlighten me as to how the pay structure works?

I understand in basic I'll be taking home around £700 but after that it becomes unclear.

Only asking as I have 3 kids and a wife to support and a hefty mortgage. So any enlightenment would help me plan finances before taking the plunge.

You start off with approx £14,900 during basic training in Pirbright for the first 14 weeks then go up to £18,300 for the next 18 months or so whilst doing your Apprenticeship (trade training). After two years you should then go up to between 21-23 K depending if you get your Lance Corporal after trade training. Not being a Tech myself it will depend on a number of factors including time lines to Class 1 but I believe you should go away around the 4-6 year point and If all goes well you should be on between 23-27K within that period (I may be corrected by current serving REME Techs. Main thing to think about is ensuring you can support your wife/kids and mortgage during the initial few months as your pay may not get to you on time .

I would expect that the Assessment officer will ask your CSM during the application process to get you to complete a debt/expediture form to see if your outgoings will be an issue during training.

Thanks for the reply. Exactly what I needed to know.

Finance wise my wife is a police officer of 10 years so we should be able to offset the drop in the first 14 weeks by selling the second car and a few other bits.

Do you know what the time scale for joining Reme is?

Old boy is ex Reme ASM and currently a civvy contractor at wattisham on the apaches. He says they're screaming for bodies to join.

Bit of a late reply but all the information @The_IRON said was correct apart from the promotion pay. As a tech and being supplement 3 trade this take the Lance Corporal wage to £26k ish after phase 2 and successful pnco.
Hope the application and phase 1 went well if you procedded

Latest Threads